would know if ican setup a lock screen wheny computer boots up to completly lock it .

Discussion in 'Software' started by spongebob0069, Mar 21, 2014.

1. spongebob0069

spongebob0069 Private E-2

id like to know if I can create a lock screen when my computer boots up to completely lock it from a very advanced user? Or any other ideas would be great. I'd like to know when im not home my computer is completely locked from my very spying boyfriend! I live alone, but sometimes he's here while im working. Im using windows 7 home premium. Thanks ahead of time for any ideas:)

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Re: would know if ican setup a lock screen wheny computer boots up to completly lock

Don't log in :-D

Use a very difficult password. We have plenty of password generators on majorgeeks.
    Enable the system admin account and password protect it.

Those two are probably enough. How advanced is he?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2014
  3. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Re: would know if ican setup a lock screen wheny computer boots up to completly lock

Any password in Windows can be cracked or bypassed, so protect the computer before Windows loads and set a "BIOS" or Boot password. While most can be cracked too, it may be a better deterrent.
    Watch your PC boot and hit whatever key it says to enter 'Setup' or 'BIOS', F1, Del, F11, ESC....then look for a boot time password and set it there. Don't forget it!!!!, while some can be reset, some cannot!

Second there are programs that will log you on by face recognition (but what if he holds up your picture?)https://www.keylemon.com/product/ http://lifehacker.com/277812/add-face-recognition-login-with-bananascreen , or you can get a thumbprint reader (does he know how to lift latent prints?)http://www.amazon.com/Security-Biometric-Fingerprint-Reader-Password/dp/B006FTPQOK, maybe a proximity system? (http://www.howtogeek.com/67556/how-to-unlock-your-pc-by-being-nearby-with-a-bluetooth-phone/), or http://dx.com/p/usb-wireless-proximity-pc-lock-for-windows-7242#.Uyy441f4FLM

It is not your boyfriend on your pc anyways, it is most likely the NSA.:-D:-D

4. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

Adrynalyne gave the best advice . . . a complicated password on any account the computer has is your best defense. A password generator is perfect because it's random . . . soooo many people want to use passwords that are easy to remember, but these are usually very easy to guess, especially if the lurker knows you.

If you are still worried about unauthorized people getting at your files you can check into some security software. You could try a USB "key" . . . there are some software apps that are used in conjunction with a USB drive to render your computer inoperable without the USB being inserted in the machine. I've not used this type of security yet but I have researched it a bit, so I speak anecdotally. Not sure how secure it actually is, but it could provide an extra layer of security. There seem to be a few free versions for 32bit windows, but most 64bit versions are pay. Foogoo referenced a wireless type of USB security device.

But, if someone really wants to access your files, then all they really need do is take the hard drive out of your computer and put it in an external enclousure. There are programs that can encrypt data on your drive to prevent reading the drive even if it is removed (Truecrypt). I've used TruCrypt for financial data and it is a good program. http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/truecrypt.html

What steps you take all depend on how great you feel the threat is. However, if the threat is great enough to warrant more security then just complicated passwords can provide, then I respectfully submit there may be other safety aspects of your situation you need to consider beyond the computer.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  5. BubbaEuler

BubbaEuler Private E-2

Windows Icon/ L

This locks the computer until you enter YOUR PASSWORD. Works for me at my Coffee Shop. Ha!

6. foogoo

Seriously? you've never googled "windows password hack?" best defense?rolleyes There are ways of booting a CD that will totally bypass the need for the Windows password, and you'd never know that any has been on the PC at all because next time you boot the password will still be there.

Still I am sure every method I have described has a way of bypassing it just in case it fails at some point.

7. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

:confused

Did you not read the OP's post? You apparantly didn't bother to actually read mine or Adrynalyne's. There are ways of getting around any security measure dealing with computers, especially when someone has physical control over the computer, which I pointed out . . . but that is out of the scope of the OP's question.

She's worried about a boyfriend casually accessing her computer while she was at work. She didn't say he was an accomplished hacker or computer expert (Adrynalyne did ask), and pending additional information from the OP some options for increasing her basic computer security were offered her.

8. foogoo

What I read..
    "very advanced user" -he knows how to use Google.
    "completely locked" -Windows passwords do not completely lock the PC. See Google.
    What part of my suggestions are out of scope? Now removing the drive, that is considered scope creep.
    I was just trying to make sure the OP is able to make an informed decision, not claiming one is 'best' over the others.

9. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Get his key back. If he can't get in, he can't snoop on your computer nor go through anything else in the place!

10. Spad

Spad MajorGeek

Perhaps the best advice of all!

I consider my 8 year old granddaughter to be a "very advanced user" compared to many who use a personal computer.

For the general user, suggesting the use of a very complicated, not easy to guess password IS the best advice to give someone, based on what little information the OP posted. It's a step they can take instantly and for free. I doubt the boyfriend will be googling how to hack the OP's computer if he can't log onto it to begin with. If he is researching how to do that elsewhere and then attacking the OP's PC with boot disks and the like, then the OP has a bigger issue then just a casual attempt to breach the computer's security and it's doubtful ANY measure can be failsafe.

As I pointed out to the OP, what measures need to be taken depend on how great the threat is. If the OP feels passwords or USB keys are not security enough then they need to think about not allowing the boyfriend physical access to the computer AT ALL.

In the absence of further info, reasonable suggestions were offered to beef up computer security that would hold true for the majority of users out there. My talking about physically removing the drive was information useful in making the OP aware that if someone has physical access to the computer then that in itself is the first security breach, and a reconsideration of even allowing the boyfriend to be in the home while the OP is away is in order. To quote myself: "What steps you take all depend on how great you feel the threat is. However, if the threat is great enough to warrant more security then just complicated passwords can provide, then I respectfully submit there may be other safety aspects of your situation you need to consider beyond the computer." I rest my case ;)

At any rate, I think plodr wins for the advice most plainly given . . . :-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds