Would my pentium 4 not HT work on a motherboard that supports HT

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Avalon128, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Avalon128

Avalon128 Private E-2

I really need your help i am thinking about upgrading my d845ebg2 motherboard to a IC7-G Max2 Advance. And the problem is the IC7-G Max2 Advance supports hyper threading, and my p42.4Ghz hasn't got hyper threading technology would i be able to use my old pentium 4 that hasn't got hyper threading in a motherboard that supports hyper threading.. Any replys

e-mail me on evangelion_manga@hotmail.com

Thank u very much

2. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

the IC7-G Max2 supports both 533mhz and 800mhz FSB Pentium 4 CPU's.

that means, if you have a P4 'B' 2.4ghz with a 533mhz FSB, it will work. However, if you have a Pentium4 A processor with a 400mhz FSB, it wont work.

if you are not sure, you can either check your BIOS, or use a program like Everest http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181 to check which version you have.

3. Avalon128

Avalon128 Private E-2

Re: weird stuff about pentium A and pentium B

i downloaded that software and according to it i have installed a pentium 4a.
    But the weird thing is that i have fount my box that i got my processor in a it says that i have got a 2.40B.... So it doesn't take a genius to work out what i have installed...

Oh 1 other thing am i doing the right thing by upgrading my 845e to a better motherboard.. oh and does dual channel mean that the speed of the ram doubles... ???

Thank u sooooo much for your time

Evangelion_manga@hotmail.com

4. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

well upgradeing your motherboard alone isnt going to give you a noticable performance increase. Even if the chipset is better, you still wont see much. I'd recommend you hold out until you are ready to replace your Processor and Motherboard together--then you can look down a lot of different paths.

'Dual Channel' provides two separate channels of access to your RAM. If you have two sticks of RAM in dual channel mode, both will be accessed simultaneously, whearas in single channnel mode, they would act like a single stick of RAM. this lessens access time and the likes.

5. Mando

Mando Private E-2

it will work fine.

if HT isnt available on the cpu it will disable HT & PAT (on I875p mobos)

running DDR400 ram in Dual Channel mode does not "speed" up the ram as such but increases the bandwith to the ram due to the ram sticks being paired up. (kind of like the old SIMMS setup)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds