Would Rooting Phone Unlock Wifi Hotspot Feature?

Discussion in 'Smartphones and Tablets - Software' started by C3P0, Jun 21, 2017.

1. C3P0

C3P0 Private E-2

phone: Alcatel
    android v4.4.2

I wanted to turn on my hotspot on my phone so I could use my tablet on the internet, but found that option missing. I have tried some apps that claimed to enable the hotspot feature but none have worked. I was wondering if I rooted the phone, would the hotspot feature be unlocked?

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Here's one possible solution.
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/2068...oid-phone-into-a-hotspot-without-rooting.html

Disclaimer:
    What you want to do might be illegal.
    Peruse your service provider's Terms of Service.

From the link...

3. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

4. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

If you got the phone via a cellular service provider, they had the manufacturer modify the OS to lock it out, especially if they sell mobile hotspot access. I had a Nexus 6 originally from ATT, with tethering locked out. I ended up installing a custom recovery and OS via the good folks at the XDA developers forum for tethering in my car. Try there as they may have your solution.

5. C3P0

C3P0 Private E-2

service is through Tracfone
    Let me re-iterate the fact that the hotspot/tethering is missing from my options. The guides to turning on my hotspot are not useful.

I will try 2 more apps from the article suggested by Eldon but I don't have high hopes for this working. The other 3 I tried failed.

I was hoping it would be as simple as rooting the phone and installing the right app. If I can't find any info that suggests this then I will consider what Just Playin has suggested.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds