Would this action cause virus/malware to be put onto my computer?

Discussion in 'Software' started by lesley, Jun 13, 2014.

1. lesley

lesley Private E-2

Any suggestions welcomed please.
    Firstly brief explanation; In Australia, now have very right wing (republican tea party type) govt. Forums are running hot! I refute govt propaganda wherever I see it. The pro govt posts are getting very vicious. To get to the point!! On forum this morning and posted comment. This reply comment popped up;
    "Oh dear xxxxx, your not paying attention are you?"
    then straight away
    "Joan Rooney 11:47am Jun 14
    Ahh, you deleted your comment. Good...."

My facebook page suddenly refreshed and the thread and other posts appeared but not my comment, or the opposing comments. I refreshed the page myself and it appeared with my comment there but the others gone. Obviously they deleted their comments, however, I was alarmed that they could refresh my page!

So my question is would my computer be likely to be compromised, or do you think they were able to affect the forum but not my computer?

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hey Lesley

Don't know your politics very well as struggling to keep tabs on UK politic nutters!

But on your question, well it seems your PC would not be compromised but I would run MalwareBytes (its free so no need to buy for a quick scan, its a good app so worth a purchase thought at some point) on it to make sure, I and being a forum admin, know that we can pop up messages like that on your account, so I think its just someone who does not like your political post on that forum.

The refresh is likely as you subscribed to the forum, so any changes can be refreshed, especially on Facebook.... no like Facebook TBH

3. lesley

lesley Private E-2

Thank you David. Here in Australia, we understand only too well what you guys are experiencing. Sadly at this stage facebook is our best option of communication.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds