Would this work? (Recording audio from sound card)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Aimee Wilbury, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Aimee Wilbury

Aimee Wilbury Staff Sergeant

For some reason or another, my sound doesn't support Stereo Mix/Wave Out even with the "disabled devices" trick.

So I was thinking....

On the front panel of the computer, there's two audio jacks -- One for headphones and the other for microphone. They both show up in the hardware properties.

So suppose I took one of those component cables you use for DVD player audio and hooked them up and tried recording from the "front panel microphone" (there's two mics in recording devices). Would it work? Or would I need another type of cable? Or it'll never work no matter what the cable?
    Also, here's the Speakers thing:

[​IMG]

How do you tell it to use the front panel? (It's a bugger to pull the computer out to unplug the speakers.)

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

So you're thinking about running a cable from the line-out or headphone jack, and plugging it into the microphone jack? In theory, it should work. You can try it and I can't see how any damage can possibly happen. If you want to record something, try using Audacity. It's an excellent freeware audio editor and recorder, and there's a bazillion guides on the web for using it for just about anything to do with sound. I used Audacity over a year ago to record some music from some web sites and it worked perfect. I don't remember how I did it, but (like I said) there's tons of info about using Audacity available online.
    :-D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds