Writing a script...

Discussion in 'Software' started by rogvalcox, Aug 5, 2008.

1. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

Don't mean to inundate the Linux thread with my own problems but, does anybody know how to write an executable script (not for startup) but one that I can double click on to execute a couple commands that I have to open Terminal for. As some of you know...with the wireless card I have, I have an issue with ndiswrapper starting on boot. Login freezes everytime and I have to purge ndiswrapper which breaks the wireless and through days of troubleshooting the only way to fix this issue is to reinstall Ubuntu. I have also tried a startup script and that puts me right back to square one.

To make a long story short...every time I reboot, once I get logged in I have to open Terminal and do sudo depmod -a and then sudo modprobe ndiswrapper and then the wireless starts on its own in a few seconds. It's really no big deal, but I was thinking if there was a shortcut on the desktop I could click on that would do everything in an automated manner...then that would be easier, and not only that but I wouldn't have to teach all that crap to my wife in case if I were to bo gone some time when she were to have restart the machine.

I have done some googling, but I've read so much in the last couple days that I am going into sensory overload...aside from my eyeballs bleeding, so I was just wondering if someone would know this off the top of their head. :)

2. son_of_a_homewrecker

son_of_a_homewrecker Private E-2

rog,

This is an excellent resource for bash scripting. If you take the time to go through it you will understand how to write the script you need.

Here is the link-->

http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thanks,

-SoaH

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds