Wrt54gl linksys router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kid jersey, Mar 11, 2012.

1. kid jersey

kid jersey Private E-2

I am sharing my wireless signal with my neighbor. I asked them to not use multiple machines because of the bandwidth reduction. They don't know that I look into my DHCP clients table and can see the ip's that are given out. What would be the best way to block these extra clients or stop my router from giving out new ip's. Other than obviously changing my wpa encryption? Wrt54gl linksys router

Thanks in advance.

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Do you want to share the connection? If so, I would use mac filtering.

You could also cut down the range of IP addresses handed out by the DHCP server but that would not work if your neighbor got those addresses first.

3. kid jersey

kid jersey Private E-2

Would you suggest listing only the mac address's that can access the network or start listing mac's that can not access the network?

4. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Only give Mac addresses that will access the network. It isn't 100% but it should prevent your neighbor from accessing the network.

http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?pid=80&vw=1&articleid=4605

5. kid jersey

kid jersey Private E-2

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds