X-Setup Closes Shop

Discussion in 'Software' started by Major Attitude, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

We have been friends with these guys and their excellent program since Tweakfiles and have had the honor of being their official mirror for all of these years. Below is the official statement and key code for their programs. First Gary Coleman, now this??? :cry

2. Ken3

Ken3 MajorGeek

What does WUG stand for? I've searched and see some answers, but I'm not sure in the context of what's being discussed here.

3. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

too bad, i liked x setup when i was running xp, i was hoping for more with windows 7 from those guys.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I always thought that WUG stood for Windows Users Group.

5. jmbruni

jmbruni Private E-2

Very much a bummer that X-setup and WUG are shot :(
    Probably the best all-around system management package around -- I hope TeX and Eric surface again soon and do their magic once more!

Thanks for all you've done!

6. Major Attitude

We are trying to find out more, hate to see it go.

7. TeXHeX

TeXHeX Private E-2

Howdy!

Now this is what you call a bad start: My first post to the MG forums and it’s about why we shut down X-Setup Pro ;)

Thanks for the encouragements we have receive in the last days, we highly appreciate this.

Now to clear up that "WUG" confusion: It is NOT the Windows User Group it was, "Windmeier UG" the company of Eric. UG is a German registered company, like LLC or Inc. in the US. Don’t ask me why, but our lawyer recommended it to write it that way.

And finally a question: Would it be possible that MG could host the portable and U3 version of XSP also? I’m getting a lot of requests about this. I know we can’t support XSP anymore, but given the requests I receive I think it would help some users.

8. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

It may be quicker if you emailed MA with your request as I am sure he will give it more prompt attention that way.

9. Major Attitude

Good to hear from you, sorry it was like this, I know Jim emailed you. Here is what we have listed:

X-Setup Pro Portable for USB 9.1:
    http://majorgeeks.com/X-Setup_Pro_Portable_for_USB_d5565.html

X-Setup Pro Portable for U3 9.1:
    http://majorgeeks.com/X-Setup_Pro_Portable_for_U3_d5564.html

X-Setup Pro (German) 9.0.100:
    http://majorgeeks.com/X-Setup_Pro_German_d5076.html

X-Setup Pro 9.2.100:
    http://majorgeeks.com/X-Setup_Pro_d4083.html

X-Setup Free:
    http://majorgeeks.com/X-Setup_d127.html

You can email me at tim@ this website and I will add anything else we are missing that you want listed. I think we have everything though?

10. TeXHeX

TeXHeX Private E-2

True. Will do.

11. TeXHeX

TeXHeX Private E-2

Thanks Tim for the listing, now I understand the confusion of the users.

I will talk to Eric so he restores the files and get back to you.

12. Shadowchaser

Shadowchaser A Really Great Guy

TexHex, do we use the same key code for all versions?

13. Major Attitude

14. R0b0tr0n

R0b0tr0n Private E-2

Hi

is there anywhere a download location for the german translation pack for the 9.2.100 version?

15. Major Attitude

As far as I know what we have is everything, unless he contacts me with anything additional.

16. TeXHeX

TeXHeX Private E-2

Tim, I just sent you and Jim the missing two versions. Please let me know the URL of the uploads so I can put them on x-setup.net.

Thanks a lot!

17. eric.windmeier

eric.windmeier Private E-2

Hi Jim & Tim, here is Eric Windmeier the former mc2 from X-Setup Pro ... if it would be possible to place the language packs on MG I can you provide them. Do you think it would make sense to upload the X-Setup Pro SDK?

I want to thank from my part for the support of the Majors in the last years!

18. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Eric

Give Tim and Jim an email as they may see those quicker than a post of the forum, its Tim @ Majorgeeks.com and Jim @ Majorgeeks.com

I will ping them also so they get to see your post.

19. TeXHeX

TeXHeX Private E-2

Thanks Tim, thanks Jim for helping us out so fast. The new links are active on x-setup.net

20. Major Attitude

It has always been our honor.

21. Jason3366

Jason3366 Private E-2

I believe that fans/users of x-setup simply want to know, what happened?

Any curiosity about WUG perhaps stems from this being the first anyone has ever heard of it. It most certainly has no relevency to WHY.

So, please elaborate on "insolvency of..." it seems like a temper tantrum

22. Major Attitude

STFU. He wrote you free software for YEARS, can't do it anymore, don't look a gift horse in a the mouth. Enjoy it, it's still free, grow up too. Dick.

23. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Can't recall ever using their programs, but I have nothing but appreciation and gratitude for anybody that takes the time to create programs and then distribute them for free.
    Can't get much more humanitarian than that,
    My thanks and sympathies to you.

24. squeeky

squeeky Private E-2

ha - yeah...

i finally got windows 7 and went to check if/ x-setup pro is handling it - and then WOOT !!!

HEY THERE Tex !!! me, squeeky here - i sent you email - if i don't hear soon i'll actually check my old mail to see if i got a better email address for you ;)

and Tex / and Eric
    THANKS TONS FOR EVERYTHING !!!!
    my biz went solo / and now is merging with big one - and seriously - i got's you guys to thank --- gees - seems like thanks for stuff from 10 years ago...

squeeky

25. mi32mi32

mi32mi32 Private E-2

Re: X-Setup Closes Shop Question

I have just downloaded xsetup and cant figure out how to hide some programs in add and remove programs using this program can some one help

using window xp

thanks in advance

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds