X1950XT - why not?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CoreOxide, Apr 8, 2008.

1. CoreOxide

CoreOxide Private E-2

I've been trying to OC my X1950XT for some extra FPS in games like Assasin's Creed and Crysis.
    With that said, I can't seem to actually do that... well, not a lot.
    I use ATItool, and raise by the smallest amout possible. When I get to 648 Core I hit a brick wall. It starts artifacting.
    I, thanks to being a smart person, turned that cube off, and ran 3DMARK06, for 3 times - all good.
    The card's temeperature seems to be fine... 73-75 under full load, pretty good for that chip.

So... 3 thigs:
    1) Is it safe to use higher OC speeds than ATItool approves? Will it make my card into an expensive paper weight?

2) Is 3DMARK06 a good way to check the stability of the OC?

3) How far can I push it?

Thanks

2. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

The "scan for artifacts" function in ATI tool seems to be getting a lot of false positives on newer cards. What I do is use games to test for artifacts as they will heat up the card more any way. 3Dmark is a good full system stability test but I recommend getting to a detailed map/place in a game and watch for artifacts. The "sun rise" scene in crisis for example is a very good spot to look for artifacts. As long as your not volt modding the card its next to imposable to kill or damage the card by simply overclocking it (as long as its running cool obviously) it will either artifact or hard lock the system.

3. CoreOxide

CoreOxide Private E-2

Thanks a lot :)
    I was worried about ATItool artifacting...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds