x64?!?!?! Hold me, I'm scared

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mada_Milty, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Alrighty... our network at work is strictly x86 machines. We just got a whack of XP licenses, and I'm looking at the media, AND THEY'RE x64!!!!!! Can anyone tell me if these are of any use to me? (ie install these on x86 machines) Or if I can use the x86 OS with these x64 licenses at least?

Cheers!

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Okay, I just answered question 1 of 2, I cannot install this shizz on the old h/w... hmmmmmm

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Only if they have 64bit CPUs in the PCs.. can you install x64, if they are 32bit CPUs the x64 version of XP is useless to you mate.

Nope the x64 licence wont work with a x86 XP install CD sadly.

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Call Bill .....oh, yeah, he's left the building!!:mad: :mad:

5. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

I assume the XP licenses are for 64 bit PCs but it will run on a 32 bit PC has it still has a 32 bit shell as far as I'm aware but it can cause Explorer crashes when new hardware is added from what I understand.

6. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Frig, this is NOT GOOD. This is going to put us WAY off track. Of all the OS licenses MS puts out, they decide THIS ONE shouldn't be backwards-compatible? That's LAME. I hope Bill gets lost in his new house and starves! :mad:

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Yes 64bit XP does have 32bit compatability for software ( not all software runs tho ) but still needs 64bit hardware as in CPU ( see below link for hardware requirements ) or it does fail at early install stage when the installer does its initial scan.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/64bit/facts/sysreq.mspx

8. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Yeah, I remember programming microchips back in college, and I DEFINITELY don't want to mess around with the number of bits the software is trying to instruct the hardware to use. That class was a MAJOR PITA.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds