XFX GeForce 7800 GTX OC power requirements

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GreatApe, Aug 21, 2005.

1. GreatApe

GreatApe Private E-2

I've ordered a 7800 GTX OC card but I am going to need to upgrade my power supply before I install it. That's where the problem arrises. The online spec sheet for the 7800 says the minimum power supply requirement for the card is a 400 Watt jobber that has a minimum of 26 amps on the +12V rail. I am actually going to purchase a 500 or 600 watt power supply to avoid stressing it with my other components, but my dificulty lies in that I am nearly unable to find a single power source with those many watts AND those enough amps. Not even PS's that are labelled SLI certified carry that many amps on the 12V. There are a few out there, but they come from companies I have never heard of before, and I am reluctant to trust the quality.
    So my question is this, does anyone know of a reliable, high quality power supply that puts out 500 or 600 watts AND atleast 26amps on the 12V, OR does anyone know if this spec is a load of cow dung and can be ignored.

Thanks in advance,
    GreatApe

2. askantik

askantik Sergeant

Well, I don't know much about electricity per say, but I do know that a 6600GT "REQUIRES A 350W POWER SUPPLY" but will run fine on a 300W with 2 hard drives and 2 optical drives. I think a big part of it lies in what other stuff you're running. I would just try a 500W or so PSU from a good company and see what happens. I don't think you run a risk of damaging the card. In all the cases I've ever seen, the Nvidia utility will tell you if the card isn't receiving enough power and it will underclock it automatically.

3. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

These are all SLI certified, All High quality (they all meet the requirements) & will work fine:

Antec TPII-550

Antec TP2550EPS12V

Antec TrueControl II 550

Enermax EG701AX Noisetaker 600W

PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool® 510 SLI (510ATX-PFC)

PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool® 850 SLI (850ETX-PFC)

Seasonic S12-600 Watt

Silverstone ST65ZF 650W

A few of the above have 5yr warranty, the Antec's have 3yr

Here's a few of what I posted:
    http://www.xoxide.com/slicertified.html

If your were going to run two SLI's ya need 34amp's

When spending what $400 or so on a Video card why cheap out on the PSU

4. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

heres the best deal on a PSU currently:

Antec NeoPower 480watt Modular, greta looking, and great performing.
    http://www.provantage.com/buy-7ants...supply-antec-supplies-cables-neo-shopping.htm

this should run without any problems. The only steps up IMO would be an OCZ Powerstream, or a PCP&C Turbocool. I'm running an older PCP&P TurboCool 510ATX, and its been rock solid for me going on 4 years now, moved through 4-5 systems.

5. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

I'm running the Antec 480 TruePower with:
    1 GB of OCZ RAM
    Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe mobo
    Geforce 7800 GTX
    2 HDD
    1 optical
    1 PCI card
    2 USB-powered devices
    2 120mm fans

I have no problems.

6. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

When looking at the rails of a psu dont forget that most modern psu's have 2 12v rails and will look like this on the data sheets eg 12v#1 16a/12v# 2#16,giving a max output of 32 amps ;)

7. GreatApe

GreatApe Private E-2

Thanks for all the help people,
    I'll pick and choose and probably just end up buying something SLI certified by nVidia and if I run into any problems, stick the certification warranty somewhere up one of their orifices. Thanks again guys,
    GreatApe.
    P.S. I'm a canadian so I am shelling out $745 or something like that of my play money... haha. Definately not letting a cheap PS blow that much cash Oh man for a dollar that meant something.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds