.XLS Repair Utilities?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mada_Milty, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Good Day,

This may be aside from the point, but here's the story:

I have a user on a Windows XP Pro box using Office XP Standard. I received a complaint from him today that his spreadsheets weren't opening correctly. I had a look at the problem spreadsheet and noticed it was opening Excel scrolled all the way to the right, showing a blank area, and wouldn't let us scroll back. I ran a detect and repair, and then updated Office, but it didn't correct the issue.

At this point, I started trying other spreadsheets, and could not recreate the issue. I now believe that there must be an issue with this particular spreadsheet. Does anyone know of a repair utility that I could run on this spreadsheet to try to recover the user's information?

TIA,

Milty

2. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Did you ever get it Mada?

I can't remember the exact settings but could they have the doc open in IE and save the information from there.

Steve

3. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

No, I haven't managed to get the spreadsheet working. I'll give this a whirl, though! Thanks for the tip, Steve!

4. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

OK. There is someway you can set it to open in IE, might be under folder options.......can't remember. confused

Steve

5. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Well, I just right-clicked, selected 'Open With', and pointed to IE. Prompted to Open or Download, selected open, and it DID open with IE, but it had the SAME problem.

ARGH.

Lame spreadsheet.

6. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

Crap.

Maybe reduce it, copy it.

Steve

7. theefool

theefool Geekified

Have ye tried opening the .xls file within office 2003 or 2007? Perhaps there is a conflict. ?

8. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Yes, and I get the same symptoms. This is what I thought at first, as the spreadsheet (IIRC) was created with Office 2K3. However, seems like once the spreadheet is broken, it's done broke good.

9. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

10. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

11. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds