XP Account settings / Account deletion

Discussion in 'Software' started by dalym7, Apr 28, 2006.

1. dalym7

dalym7 Private E-2

Hi guys,
    this issue is closely related to a problem i posted recently here. Just to recap it was a problem with Frontpage crashing everytime i clicked 'save as'. Now i have discovered that this only happens when i am logged on to my account on windows xp - it is an administrator account as are the two others - but i can use Frontpage perfectly on the other accounts. So there is something about my personal settings that causes this - i'm not sure what, any body have any ideas?

What i'll probably do is, just create a new accouont on the comp and transfer all my file acrooss to it, and delete that old account. Just in relations to deleting a user account, does anybody have any tips on this? i mean the process obviously very simple, i'm just wondering is there any residue left afterwards, like files on hard drive, registry entries etc, general untidy left overs that i should be aware of.

Thanks
    Martin

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

The biggest thing that I would watch is the documents and settings folder.

c:\documents and settings\username

Where username matches the name of the account you're using to log in. This will contain that user's My Documents folder, their outlook PSTs (if any), any desktop items exclusive to that user, and start menu items specific to that user. The specific directories are:

.\username's documents (My Documents)
    .\application data\microsoft\outlook (Outlook PSTs)
    .\local settings\application data\microsoft\outlook (Outlook PSTs)
    .\desktop (Desktop Icons)
    .\start menu\programs (Start Menu Items)

Where . represents the current directory c:\documents and settings\username.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds