XP Activation

Discussion in 'Software' started by jf38081, Aug 22, 2005.

1. jf38081

jf38081 Private E-2

Hi
    I am working on a recent compaq running xp hm sp 2 - evidentally after the owner did a windows update, the fit hit the shane, so to speak, and had no backup. they also had no xp cd. I have a similar dell cd, xp home sp 2.

To make a long story short, the owner does not want to lost data, so I thought I might be able to use my cd. I feel like the liscencing issue should not be a problem because each pc has its own seperate coa sticker on the case and they run the same operating system.

If everyone agrees that the existing liscenses are fine, maybe you can set my on the right path for the next part:

I thought to recover windows using the xp cd. after booting off the cd, then repairing the operating system, it wants me to activate. the ethernet does not appear to be working, but the modem does. xp tries to dial in to verify, but does not receive a confirmation. It then gives me the option to telephone in to verify. This is an automated process, with no-one to speak with other than the "operator" - evidentially a computer based menu.
    the compaq, having appeared to successfully repair itself, offers an "activation ID" to use over the phone to activate.

Here is the problem. Evidentally the dell cd must not jive with the compaq because it kicks back my "activation ID." Is there a way to talk with a person over there at Microsoft? Or does the owner simply have to buy another CD? Are there any other workarounds? Remember, we want to save the data, and I believe the liscensing is fine because each box has its own coa.

Any help would be great - !
    Thanks
    A

2. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

First, let me say we will not assist with any type of software piration.

Dell disk should only be used on a Dell System. Compaq should have Restore Disk, if the user does not have them then they should contact Compaq so they can get them.

Other option would be to buy the OEM copy of XP. Using a Dell reinstallation disk is not recommended.

Also, the installation needs to match the COA sticker key, if it doesnt then it needs to be an OEM copy.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds