XP activation

Discussion in 'Software' started by bluesteinm, Dec 15, 2005.

1. bluesteinm

bluesteinm Private E-2

Hello Geeks
    I finally seem to be running XP without a hitch with a 533 Celeron Processor.
    I upgraded to 256 RAM (the most allowed). I changed the PS2 mouse to a serial mouse and changed the FAT32 file system to NTFS. Anyway when I upgrade how do I install the XP onto another HDD. How does that work? Can I activate the XP again after I upgrade to a different system if it was the same copy of XP? Am I stuck with this copy of XP on this computer?
    Is it a one time deal?

2. Prophets21

Prophets21 Staff Sergeant

No it's not a 1 time deal. You will have to activate it over the phone. This is such a grey area though. Microsoft haven't said anything officially about installing XP on more than one system.
    They even ask you now when you activate it "have you installed this on any other machines"? You simply have to reply "no".

3. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Here at work I support 100's of XP home desktops and they are running old Maxtor drives - which fail with great regularity so I call tell you from my experience you can reload XP about three times before callin Microsoft.
    But it is one license per machine.. be honest.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

To be more specific, every 120 days, the MS activation database gets purged.

So if you are denied internet activation, it will work again in 120 days from the last activation.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds