XP: after reinstall, Standby option disappeared

Discussion in 'Software' started by rabhrab, Feb 1, 2011.

1. rabhrab

rabhrab Private E-2

After my reinstallation of XP, the Standby option in the Turn Off, Restart and Standby window is 'greyed out' and not selectable. Any ideas why?:-o
    Also, I need to reask:

Transfer of files in XP

Hi again. I have now successfully used the 'file and settings transfer' wizard to get my files back after reformatting and reinstalling XP. The only difficulty I seem to have is that I had hoped to be able to access my 'old' e-mails, address book, contacts, etc, but cannot do so. Is it possible, ie. am I not doing something I should, or have I lost it.
    I really do appreciate the help I am being given! Thanks again.
    :(

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

The Re-install of XP was this from a OEM (as in DELL, HP etc) restore disk or partition or from a retail Windows XP CD?

Open up Device Manager and in the list are there any yellow ! marks listed if so what are they as you may not have all the drivers installed for your PC, the main one is the chipset.

Aslo while in Device Manager check this for me click the Computer branch (+) and does it mention ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface)? if not then your PC maybe too old and has no compatability for ACPI which allows Standby.

To help us help you with some drivers please follow the info below as written

As for your other question your live open thread is HERE already and best to stick to that one as its not best to deal with two issues at once in one thread, info can get mixed up.

3. rabhrab

rabhrab Private E-2

Thanks for the prompt reply! It was from a retail XP disc, supplied with the machine when bought. The Standby option was accessable prior to my reinstall. The computer branch does have ACPI Multiprocesser listed. There are ! at Other Devices--Other PCI Bridge Device, another at SM Bus Controller, and lastly Video Controller (VGA compatible).

Attached Files:

4. rabhrab

rabhrab Private E-2

Hi again, I've reinstalled th missing drivers and I've got the Standby option back! Just looking to get my Outlook Express problem now????? Thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds