XP boots but no icons, toolbars

Discussion in 'Software' started by wayne campbell, Jul 14, 2009.

1. wayne campbell

wayne campbell Private E-2

I was working through the Malware READ and RUN steps to try and remove what appears to be Vundo trojans. After running ComboFix, XP boots up to my background picture, but nothing else. I have tried F8 to attempt boots using safe mode, last good config, system restore, but same result.

I use task manager to navigate and run programs, but need to restore the desktop icons so I can proceed with combofix using the script file drag and drop and to be able to unload my fsecure AV

Thanks in advance

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

If you can access SuperAntiSpyware control panel (options) via Task Manager, you could try the Repair Systray (or other repairs) from the Repairs tab.

3. wayne campbell

wayne campbell Private E-2

Thanks, I understand the cross purpose issue. I mentioned my XP problem in my original post on the Malware Forum and it appeared or I assumed it was being left up to me to get my desktop back with icons so that I could run the next steps.

I reposted on Malware as you indicated. I am pretty sure I need to reinstall XP, but was looking for some confimation.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds