xp corrupt file issue

Discussion in 'Software' started by tuxp, Jun 11, 2004.

1. tuxp

tuxp Private E-2

first specs hp a220n

amd 2600+
    512mb ram
    120gb hard drive
    nforce2 mobo

startup programs

sygate firewall
    rambooster
    avast antivirus

winxp all updates
    win98

partition table like this
    19.5 gb for win98 as fat32
    59.5 for xp in ntfs
    19.5 mish mash fat32
    8 for linux
    1 gb for swap

i just had a storm and i had to prematurely shut my system down because it was frozen
    ever since when i boot into xp it says every file was corrupt that it tried to run and run chkdsk
    okay i ran chkdsk 20 times until i got no errors oin the chkdsk running menu in dos
    then i run scandsk 10 times nothing
    okay boot into 98 scan for viruses nothing
    next i decide to try another account still not working
    safe boot then still the same problem i dont want to reinstall xp
    what should i do to fix this

thanks in for advance

2. tuxp

tuxp Private E-2

3. alanc

alanc MajorGeek

It's highly doubtful that ram program caused the troubles he's describing.

tuxp your description is a little confusing as to which partitions you've run chkdsk, scandisk, and Avast scans on, can you clear that up?

And what XP files are being flagged as corrupt?

Can you boot into Safe Mode successfully in XP?

If so, run chkdsk /r on your NTFS partition, restart if asked to. If you're still having problems after that boot to XP Safe Mode again and run sfc /scannow

4. tuxp

tuxp Private E-2

sorry bout that ive run chkdsk on all windows related partitions to no avail the files they say that are corrupt is every single one thats why i had 98 on there incase of any problems thats how im accessing the net right now plus my laptop

safe mode ill try what you said but when i run the chkdsk it doesnt really do anything it just says the sectors and blocks etc. then is done

i got into msconfig after some trying and turned off all startup programs i installed it flags every single thing as corrupt but some i can access but with bad results

i forgot to mention this earlier though as well i have a slow shutdown time to the point where it usually freezes when trying to shut down so much so i was able to leave it on 3 whole days and it was stuck in saying windows is shutting down so i usually have to turn it off my self
    i tried fixing that by formatting and reinstalling to no avail but the current problem is the disk error. i just tried running the repair feature off the xp disk again and nothing

and one last thing when i bootup and it says improperly shutdown and it runs scandsk or chkdsk it says windows is restarting and it never does i just have to power it down.

thanks for the tips ill try those and post results.

5. tuxp

tuxp Private E-2

i tried running chkdsk /r crashed the system

ran sfc scannow and i got this

windows protection could not initiate a scan of protected system files the specific error code is 0*000006 {the rpc sderver is unavailble]

after 10 tries i got chkdsk r to work i just need to reboot ill post the results as soon as i can

6. tuxp

tuxp Private E-2

nothing from chkdsk/r
    nothing from scannow should i just do a reinstall

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds