Xp crash,wont boot up

Discussion in 'Software' started by pongo, Sep 20, 2011.

1. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

My cousin called me she was on the computer and it froze and that was it,she said she was listing to music and when she opened a file a face screamed and 1 hr later this..

ok when i turn on the computer ,i get the screen boot from safe mode ect......it does not matter what i pick the computer reboots then goes back to the same thing any ideas on how to get this to boot up?i use xp home repair,even though i think its xp pro in there she was not sure the rescue cd did nothing.

THE computer is a hp pavilion a620n

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Follow the information in the malware forum to figure out how infected her computer is.

3. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

The problem is that they are unable to boot up into safe mode or normal mode now by the sounds, so will be unable to run our malware removal procedures.

4. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

when i hit safemode tab the computer reboots i get windows screen then right back to safemode screen which is f2??

5. Kestrel13!

What about Last Known Good Configuration? Any good or not? :confused

6. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

any of them i click on reboots the computer then i get windows screen then right back to safemode screen.

7. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

If you can not get it into safe mode, I would have to say that she has the machine really hosed up. Only way to fix, is to do a Nuke and reinstall of the Operating system.

8. Kestrel13!

Or wait and see what other members of Majorgeeks have to say before resorting to such measures!!!!!! ;) Wait for others to chip in pongo. :)

9. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Reboot the computer and press F8 at the bios screen (the first screen that comes up before the windows loading screen). Does that take you into Windows Safe mode?

10. Kestrel13!

I think we have already established that that does not work! ;)

11. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

And that leads to only one choice they have, due to the end user Fubar'd their system.

12. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

ok i tryed to in stall there copy of xp no go..so i tryed to install a copy of my 7 and after install i get this message on start up screen

primary master hard disk
    s.m.a.r.t status bad
    warning.immediate back up your data and replace your hard disk drive.a failure may be imminent.

13. plastidust

plastidust Command Sergeant Major

Not saying this is the best solution and it may be to late, but try downloading one of these:

F-Secure Rescue CD
    Kaspersky Rescue Disk

Which ever you choose, you'll have to burn the .iso file to a CD using something like ImgBurn

With the F-Secure Rescue CD download, you will first have to extract the .iso file from the zip file you download.

After creating the bootable CD, you will need to boot into the bios of the HP Pavilion a620n and make sure that the computer is set to boot from the cd rom drive.

Hopefully the rescue CD will repair the computer enough so that you can boot it either in normal or safe mode and then proceed to the Malware Removal forum.

14. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

That would mean exactly what it is stating. How old is this machine? Is it even worth the cost for her to have you install a new hard drive to get a few more years out of it? Also, unless she is willing to pay for the license, you can not just install your copy of Windows 7. Now, the good thing is, you can get Windows 7 Pro for $29.95 at http://www.theultimatesteal.com as long as either one of you have a valid .edu email.

15. pongo

pongo Staff Sergeant

ok i changed the hard drive and know no problems after trying to install 7 it let me do a diskcheck and said harddrive was bad.

thanks to all that helped..

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds