XP crashes everyday at noon

Discussion in 'Software' started by wagnsew, Feb 25, 2011.

1. wagnsew

wagnsew Private E-2

Hi,
    I'm running XP home, SP 3 on a Dell Inspiron 530.

Around December the computer would crash at random times. I thought malware and went to your malware removal instructions. I downloaded the suggested software and ran all the scans recommended. The scans came out OK.

Then in January the computer started crashing everyday at noon but not at midnight. I get a message that a serious error has occured and do I want to send info to Microsoft. I send the info then a screen comes up that I need to update drivers. I update drivers. I believe they are all current.

Here is error report from 2-18-11.
    BCCode: 1000007f
    BCP1: 0000008
    BCP2: 8004200
    BCP3: 00000000
    BCP4: 00000000
    OS Ver: 5_1_2600
    SP: 3.0
    Product 768_1
    Device driver caused Windows to stop unexpectedly.

I also went to Windows update to check for any new updates. The only update that will not install is SQL Server. It always fails and gives me error code: 0xD59.

Then I used Windows debugger to check out the mini dump files.
    I get an Unexpected Kernel Mode Trap M
    Default B: Driver Fault
    Process name: mbamservice.exe
    Module Name: avipbb
    Image Name: avipbb.sys

I tried System Restore and that failed as well.

Am I to a point where I need to reinstall Windows or is there another solution?

Thanks much,
    Chris

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I'm just going to bump this up so that maybe someone from Malware forum will see it.
    It looks like the error is related to malwarebytes program.

I'm not familiar with the program but is there any kind of scheduling option in it?

3. Baxter Stockman

Baxter Stockman Private First Class

You have any scheduled tasks? If it is that regular.

Might be tied to it going to standby or hibernation or sleep.

4. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

The avipbb.sys seems to be the Avira rootkit boot-time scanner? Maybe MBAM and Avira are clashing? I'd remove and reinstall them both with the latest versions.

5. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, wagnsew.

You might try booting into Safe Mode, especially just before noon, see if you get the same symptoms.

Agreed with the others - make sure no standby, hibernation, or sleep modes are enabled. You might even consider uninstalling Malwarebytes to determine if the mbamservice.exe is indeed the culprit.

Also, I researched the avipbb.sys entry and found this - that's a little confusing, however, because that article points to Avira, whereas in your Malware Forum logs, it appears you are running AVG.

EDIT: oops - sorry, satrow. Didn't see you lurking there. ¦)

6. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Ne rien, Caliban :), I'm pleased someone thought to check out Chris's 'previous' for further details :)

So it looks like Avira is no longer installed but there are dregs remaining? There's a manual uninstall page over at Avira, follow it carefully to ensure that all traces are removed, that may be enough to cure the problem.

<I'm off to check the malware logs for further clues>

7. wagnsew

wagnsew Private E-2

Hibernate is set to never on my computer. And it goes to standby after 1 hour. So I'll change standby and see what happens. I do know that the computer does not need to be in standby for it to crash. We are usually doing something when the crash happens. That is how we figured out it happened at noon.

I'll uninstall and reinstall Malwarebytes and Avira Antivir. And see what happens. I was previously running AVG and then switched to Avira since the post in the Malware forum.

I'll let you know what happens.

Chris

8. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

Do you have the paid version of Malwarebytes, which has a scheduler under the Protection tab? May help to check that.
    Also found this (at http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=14247) which coincidentally has an update option at noon or midnight (maybe the latter - never too sure what people mean when they say that). This is from a set of command line options:
    /schedule : Allows you to schedule an update and scan for a specific hour. Scan will happen 5 minutes after update
    Example: mbam.exe /schedule 0 (will schedule for 12:00 AM local time)
    Example: mbam.exe /schedule 5 (will schedule for 5:00 AM local time)
    Example: mbam.exe /schedule 23 (will schedule for 11:00 PM local time)

9. wagnsew

wagnsew Private E-2

OK, I started the computer in Safe Mode yesterday. There was no crash.

So I did a clean uninstall of Avira and reinstalled and did the same with Malwarebytes. I do have the paid version of Malwarebytes. I checked the scheduler and it is set to start updates and scan with the start of Windows.

Today, it crashed at noon.

If I change to a different anti-virus software, is that going to change the crashing?

I think I will uninstall the Avira before noon tomorrow and see what happens. The only other thought I have is to check processes that are running at noon tomorrow and see if anything changes before the crash. Obviously, Avira and Malwarebytes don't play well together.

Any other thoughts or ideas?

Keeping my fingers crossed!
    Chris

10. Caliban

You can try uninstalling MBytes (you don't need it running while you troubleshoot - you can always reinstall it later) and running just Avira for a while. Or, you can uninstall Avira, run the cleanup tool, and install avast! to check symptoms.

If you're feelin' froggy, you could take a look at your Services, see if you can disable anything obviously connected to the symptoms there. Just be advised to record all changes so you can revert if needed.

I'm curious - when you uninstalled AVG, did you run the AVG Remover (32-bit or 64-bit)?

11. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

Just fyi, I have Avira and Malwarebytes running (both free) without any issues.

12. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

Which product from Avira are you using? Avira, which even in it's freeware version has basic anti-spyware protection, I think that you're running into problems adding a "real-time" anti-spyware blocker along it. The following thread at the Avira Support Forum leads me to believe this - problems when Avira's Webguard (featured in the AntiVir Premium/AntiVir Professional/Premium Security Suite versions) is active:

http://forum.avira.com/wbb/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=111473

dr.m

13. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

This is not true. I have Avira free and paid MBAM running on two computers and no crashes (XP Home and 2K) and I have Avira free and MBAM free running on XP Pro and XP Home and no crashes.

That message seems to point to a windows problem and not a problem with your antivirus nor anti-malware programs.

14. wagnsew

wagnsew Private E-2

I did a clean uninstall of Avira. Rebooted and just left Malwarebytes running. No noon crash.

I am running paid Malwarebytes and Free Avira. There must be something else that is causing them to clash since some of you are running the same things without issue.

For now I'll switch to a different antivirus program and see what happens. I just can't figure out what changed in December to cause the problem.

Any other words of wisdom are appreciated.

15. GCWesq

GCWesq MajorGeek

Did you check out Dr.Moriarty's suggestion, that you might have two realtime antivirus programs running together? Paid Malwarebytes has an antivirus option. Did you have that turned off? If it was on, it would probably interfere with Antivir, and that might be causing the crashes. Why it would happen at noon is a mystery though.

16. wagnsew

wagnsew Private E-2

Sorry I have not checked in for awhile. Life in general was on a roll.

Anyway, I have been able to stop the crashing. Since I have the paid version of Malwarebytes, I contacted them and they sent me the info to add an exception to the anti-virus. I added the exception and I have a happy computer now.

Thanks for all of your thoughts and suggestions.

17. Caliban

Glad you got it sorted, wagnsew, and thanks for the feedback. :major

18. dr.moriarty

dr.moriarty Malware Super Sleuth Staff Member

My "Thanks" also for the update, wagnsew - that's info worth saving in my notes.

dr.m

19. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

What exception? Was it related to your AV software?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds