XP crashing on PnP extension install?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WolfeMacleod, Nov 5, 2005.

1. WolfeMacleod

WolfeMacleod Private E-2

Greetings. I'm faced with a rather mind-boggling situation here.
    A couple months ago, I upgraded my system's motherboard, CPU, and RAM, and went to Windows XP (sp2).
    Board: Asus A8V Deluxe.
    CPU: AMD Althlon 64 3200+
    Video: ATI AIW 9600
    1GB Ram

Now the problem. When I reboot, I always get the little "found hardware notice" box in the bottom near my clock. It's found a "Plug and Play extension" then the Found new hardware wizard window pops up.
    If I let the wizard do it's install, I immediately crash and reboot. Before the reboot finishes, it crashes again and cycles this way untill I do a system restore to a previous configuration.
    Just tonight, I was fussing with my video to output to my TV set. Since it wasn't working, I thought maybe it found something video related, so I let it install. Immediately after the install, it found a raid controller, then crashed.
    Here's the really wierd part. First time the boot cycling happened was immediately after installing Zone Alarm, which was very shortly after doing the XP install.

Any ideas what would cause this?

2. WolfeMacleod

WolfeMacleod Private E-2

I should also note that Plug n Play OS is enabled in the BIOS settings. EVen with it set to NO, same thing happens.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds