XP does not reconize FAT32 partition.

Discussion in 'Software' started by bonniehandi, Nov 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bonniehandi

bonniehandi Private E-2

I have this 46Gb partition that is formatted to FAT32 (so that I can share file between XP and linux).
    All is fine except windows XP does not know what to do with it. I tried going to control panel, and went to the disk management section. I cannot do anythnig to that partition expect delete it. What can I do so that windows can access that partition?

Thank you very much.

2. Flav_cool

Flav_cool Private E-2

I'm not sure but the reason it can't access it is b/c the partition that windows itself is installed on is NTFS. If the partition windows is on is FAT32, then it could've read both.

3. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

If XP can't read the partition then the Partition Table is probably corrupt. You can try resizing the partition by using QtParted from within Linux, assuming that Linux can read the partition.

4. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

I have WinXP installs on NTFS partitions that can indeed read and write to FAT32 partitions. Are you at SP1 or above? You may be encountering an LBA limitation if not.

5. bonniehandi

bonniehandi Private E-2

The partition table is not corrupted. I checked it.
    I also don't think that it has to do with the LBA limitation. From a lot of googleing, most say that it is not the problem. :rolleyes:

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

I'm curious to know how you went about checking it?

I'd almost be willing to bet that your partition type is 44. That makes it corrupt, unless you have GoBack installed.

You can check it from within windows with diskpart.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2005
  7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Being a Mac user as of late, this is a little rusty, but I believe its the correct steps.

Open a cmd.exe prompt, from start, run.
    type:
    diskpart
    ENTER
    at the diskpart> prompt:
    type
    list disk
    ENTER
    This shows the hard drives on the system. Find the one in question and note the number.
    select Disk X (replace X with the correct number)
    ENTER
    list partition
    ENTER
    Note the partition number in question (probably 1).
    select partition 1
    ENTER
    detail partition
    ENTER

Note the partition type. What is it?

8. bonniehandi

bonniehandi Private E-2

This is the detail partition:
    partition 6
    type 83
    Hidden: yes
    active: no
    There is no volume associtaed with this partition.

It is a logical partiton... if that helps.
    The "no volume associated with this partition" is probably the problem, but I dont know how to fix it.

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Type 83.

Thats a Linux partition. Its not fat32 at all, and Windows will not be able to read it.

10. bonniehandi

bonniehandi Private E-2

I am very sure that it is FAT32 because I am able to check it inside the windows administrative tools, and even windows says it is FAT32. It is just not able to use it.

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Well, ok, believe what you will :)

But if the partition you checked via diskpart is the same one in question for this entire thread, its not Fat32.

http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/partitions/partition_types-1.html

I am very sure of the information I have as well. Type 83 never has, and never will be, Fat32.

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=type+83+partition&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Look at the google search string I used. Surely its not by accident that most of the links deal with Linux?

The only other explanation is that its a corrupt partition table, which Windows will read its type incorrectly.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2005
  12. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

You asked for advice, then received it from at least 2 VERY knowledgeable people here, including a Microsoft tech support person. If you want to ask for advice, please at least make an attempt to follow the advice you receive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds