xp does not request password

Discussion in 'Software' started by Pete22, Nov 17, 2009.

1. Pete22

Pete22 Private First Class

Hello friends,

I just installed xp pro on a laptop, downgraded from vista.

I know all accounts should be passworded so I gave the administrator account a password.

The problem is, when windows boots up, it goes directly to the desktop. It does not ask for a password.

I went to users to see if it added a new account. It only shows administrator that is passworded and the guest which is turned off.

How can I fix this?

Pete22

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

Out of curiosity, if you were to click START, then RUN, then type in:

control userpasswords2 (press enter)

Then go to the advanced tab, then click "Manage Passwords".

Do you have any entries there? If so, remove them. Also, make sure the "local" account has a password. This should be the account you created when windows booted to the EULA screen. Typically you should use Local as the user name. That way, administrator is the main account.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds