XP Drivers for Gateway DX4200

Discussion in 'Software' started by drex23, Jun 24, 2009.

1. drex23

drex23 Private E-2

Long story short, was tired of crappy performance in games using vista, installed XP... didnt even think there would be a issue with drivers and i guess i was mistaken.

Poked around on the gateway webpage tried to install a few drivers off there and none of them worked...

mainly i need the motherboard driver, sound driver, network adapter driver ( wired not wireless )

I have a different video card so i do not need that driver...

if anyone can help me out here let me know :)

Everest file attached.

Attached Files:

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:wave Welcome to Major Geeks! :major

You can download the chipset drivers from the AMD site at this link. You'll need to scroll down a bit to see everything available. Download the audio drivers from here, and install the audio drivers after installing KB888111, it's the HD audio update from Microsoft and you can get it from this direct link. The ethernet/network drivers can be found at this link. I think that should cover it. If you have any question marks in the Device Manager after installing these drivers, or any other issues, just let us know and we'll do our best!
    :-D

3. zhl

zhl Private E-2

Another Question for dlb: I need an "SM bus controller" driver for the same DX4200-UB101A (XP 64) system. Where might I find one?

Thanks

4. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

The SMbus driver should be built in to the chipset drivers. If it doesn't install as part of the chipset driver, post here and I'll try to find it. The PC should be OK without it temporarily, so no worries right away....

5. Mryucky

Mryucky Private E-2

I have all the drivers downloaded including getting the keyboard working in XP if anyone is interested I can give them answers or provide a tutorial on it. It actually wasnt that hard, the only problem is that you can't get any xp drivers from Gateway but with some research you can get xp working just fine on it. Let me tell you it's worth it...

6. Dazzler69

Dazzler69 Private E-2

I also need this. Great thread! I got my dx4200 working from this so far.

7. Dazzler69

Dazzler69 Private E-2

8. Mryucky

Mryucky Private E-2

This is what you need guys:

http://majorgeeks.com/ATI_Catalyst_Drivers_for_Windows_XP_d4038.html

To fix your smbus driver situation...

Included in this catalyst package is the South Bridge driver...

http://majorgeeks.com/NVIDIA_nForce_Unified_Driver_Windows_2000XP_d4299.html

and also to get your gateway keyboard buttons to work use the vista driver from Chicony ( I know your trying to run xp, trust me the vista driver works in xp!!!)...

http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/getFile.asp?id=22671&dscr=Chicony%20KB-0817%20Keyboard%20Driver%20v1.30&uid=237870837

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2009
  9. Dazzler69

Dazzler69 Private E-2

That did not work. Thanks for the try. I think I tried that one already. Prob have to try hardheaded gateway "tech" support again. Boy are they stupid.

10. Mryucky

Mryucky Private E-2

11. Dazzler69

Dazzler69 Private E-2

That link just goes to the main site, what is the name of driver there?

ati-amd-580x-amd-690g-amd-780g-amd-790gx-raid-driver-9.5-windows-2000-xp

This part of it goes to amd site and says restricted. Can you pull and post it somewhere?

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  12. Mryucky

Mryucky Private E-2

9-5_xp32-64_raid.exe

13. Mryucky

Mryucky Private E-2

That's odd that the link doesnt work, if you google this term it gives you that site and link as the 2nd result... Of course Google's link works...

14. Dazzler69

Dazzler69 Private E-2

Found it and tried it now. Still a no go.

15. Dazzler69

Dazzler69 Private E-2

Is there a way to contact who ever made the part for sm bus controller? Is it via? Somehow I don't think gateway is going to help with this. Phone is better than posting.

16. Dazzler69

Dazzler69 Private E-2

I called gateway and I was right they won't help or could not help. Said to call Intel for driver 408-765-8080. Not open today....what a pain in the a$$!

17. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:confused A NVidia driver? For an AMD chipset? Seems pretty obvious why it isn't working for most folks. A bit of research got me to the AMD forums where I found that many folks got the SMBus driver by using the file from this direct link. I hope this helps!
    :-D

(many AMD downloads for chipsets, onboard graphics, etc., can be found at this site)

EDIT- just out of curiosity, I went to download the SMBus driver using the file I linked to, my first link in this post. The download dialog started up as usual but the file never actually downloaded. :confused This is likely a temporary issue with the hosting site. If it won't download, use the second link in this post and look through the list for the driver you need. For example: if you need the SMBus driver for WinXP Home, you'd look for a file named something like "8-4_xp32-64_sb_61006.exe". This is obviously for 32bit or 64bit Windows XP, and the "sb" means "South Bridge". There's a bunch of different releases available, so if you have issues with one, try another. Good luck!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  18. Dazzler69

Dazzler69 Private E-2

That did it!!!!!!! No clue what a sm bus controller is for but no problems listed now!

Now to back this stuff up to disk.

Drivers are sure a pain in the a$$!

19. Dazzler69

Dazzler69 Private E-2

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds