XP drivers utilities Applications reinstall

Discussion in 'Software' started by chambie, Feb 4, 2006.

1. chambie

chambie Private E-2

I am running a Dell Insprion 5100. A few months back I had some spyware issues which this website provided the Hijackthis file that saved me alot of headaches, Thank you..but since then I have had more and more problems with Windows. The biggest being downloading any type of driver. XP recognises new hardware, but then never completes driver installs. I have XP Home addition, version 2002, Service Pack 2.

I'm not very computer literate, but am thinking about a total reboot. No idea how, or even if I have all of the discs, but getting desperate. Would it work to put the Driver, Utilities and Applications disc into the D drive? My thinking is that maybe it would overwrite the files and fill in the missing ones, But I'm afraid I'll wind up with a dead computer. Please help.

2. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

Exactly what driver/s are you trying to install, and what happens when you do?

Do you have your Windows CD?

Any errors in Device Manager? (start, run and type in devmgmt.msc then OK)

3. chambie

chambie Private E-2

N0 errors on my devise manager. At the time I had to use Hijack this I encountered a problem with my HP all in one 2400, so I uninstalled it thinking I would just reinstall later. It stops halfway through the download and tells me to close applications before contiuing, I have no applications running....I am also trying to use a new Seagate 6GB USB drive, XP is supose to automatically recognise and run this product, when I plug it in, I see the light, but then the computer says it isn't connected. I do have my Windows CD, just don't have the code. Thank you for responding so fast.

4. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

5. chambie

chambie Private E-2

Thank you for the RockXP download info, worked great, but can anyone tell me if placing the driver utilities disc in the drive may resolve my issue, or hurt me? I'd really like to not have to reformat my computer if at all possible.

6. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

I couldn't say for sure but it sounds like you have some kind of error in the registry. Its not installing the drivers correctly in the registry. I don't think your Driver Utility disk will help.

7. chambie

chambie Private E-2

Is there a registry fixit thingamajig I could use to fix this?

8. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

I'd help you if I could but the registry is a tricky area. I don't hesitate to play with it on my own computer or even a customer computer if I have a good backup but if I advise you in some way that causes an even greater error in the registry it could stop your computer from working at all. Also I'm not good enough in there to locate your problem with any certainty.

9. chambie

chambie Private E-2

Well..I thank you for the help you were able to give me already, maybe I'll get lucky and have someone else reply that can help. Unfortunately this computer is my lifeline at work and I really can't afford to much downtime, so reformatting is my very last resort. Maybe I'll need to call someone in to fix it.

10. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

You could try posting this problem in the Malware area. Some of those guys might be better educated in registry problems.

11. Insomniac

Some hardware requires you to install the software first.

Install the HP software, then plug it in and turn it on and Windows should do the rest.

It will all be in your HP manual. If not, go to their website.

12. chambie

chambie Private E-2

My issue doesn't seem to be that obvious. I really believe (and I'm by no means qualified to say this) that I deleted some file that allows installation of drivers...DLL? The USB drive I am trying to install says that XP doesn't require a driver, should automatically recognise the unit. The devise works fine on my friends computer.

13. Insomniac

I thought you said HP all in One?

What sort of USB drive is it? ie is it an external hard drive, USB flash drive etc?

14. chambie

chambie Private E-2

HP is one of my problems, I am assuming that my problems are one in the same...But could be totally off base....The drive is a USB Seagate 6G

15. Insomniac

What is the exact model of the Segate drive?

For the HP problem, try installing the software first, then plug it in and switch it on. It should be detailed in your manual.

16. chambie

chambie Private E-2

Model is st660211usb.....Seagate had me return tha last one saying it was a faulty drive, But Im still having the same problem. I've been through Microsoft web sites, HP websites, HP phone help, HP email help (HP basically said they don't know)

17. Insomniac

Are you sure of the model?

18. chambie

chambie Private E-2

Well...Im sure it is one of the 3 sets of numbers...How about this...9AF432-225
    or 4MEO68M3 Sorry not sure which is the model number

19. Insomniac

Nope.

Didn't you get any paperwork or anything with this?

If not, post a pic of it. Someone may recognise it.

20. chambie

chambie Private E-2

21. Insomniac

Do you have a USB2.0 port?

22. chambie

chambie Private E-2

hmmm...good question.how do I tell? Just assumed I did.

23. Insomniac

Go into Device Manager. (Start, run and type in devmgmt.msc then OK)

Look under Universal Serial Bus Controllers, and if it says "Enhanced" or "Hi-Speed" then you do.

24. chambie

chambie Private E-2

Oh...then I do have the enhanced. So I guess I'm still in the dark.

25. Insomniac

Have you tried another USB port?

26. chambie

chambie Private E-2

Tried them both.....To add to this mystery, I tried to install an internal Wirless card last night, and again, the driver could not complete the download.

27. Dawnpatrol

Dawnpatrol Private First Class

have you tried a repair using the winxp cd? You'll need to have the cdrom set as the first boot device in the bios. Then boot up the computer with the winxp cd in the drive. Choose the repair option and see if that helps. Have you downloaded all the windows updates?

28. chambie

chambie Private E-2

I have downloaded all of the updates, but the last reccomended update (service pack 3) I had problems with, when I wrote to Microsoft help, they told me that sevice pack 3 wasn't available and wanted to know where I got it...I guess microsoft has their own issues... Pardon my ignorance, but Winxp? That would be the windows cd that came with my computer? Just to be sure Im clear...Place the CD into the drive, reboot, choose repair..that's it? GAhhhd I hope this works.

29. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

I'm curious too! Where did you get the SP3 update?:)

30. chambie

chambie Private E-2

When I ran Microsoft Update, it brought me to the reccomended critical update of service pack 3....problem? Please tell me this is not an additional issue.

31. Insomniac

There is NO SP3 for XP. Only for Office.

32. chambie

chambie Private E-2

hmmm...then maybe my ignorance is showing and that's what it was. Maybe I should just pay someone to fix this?

33. Insomniac

Have you tried a repair?

I'd try a repair first, and if not, a format and reinstall.

You will off-course need your XP CD.

34. chambie

chambie Private E-2

I do have the XP CD. Jus tvery very nervous about the whole thing with it. Is a repair straight forward, I've seen some scary stuff in other forums about all this preperation....etc..

35. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

I agree with Insomniac on this! No need to rush and pay someone for something that you can do yourself.:)

36. chambie

chambie Private E-2

OK then...I'll give it a try. I'll keep you posted...and..Thank you both for your patience and help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds