XP Ethernet Driver Problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by coleProtocol, Jan 15, 2006.

1. coleProtocol

coleProtocol Private E-2

My problem is this: Windows XP isn't detecting any network adapters on the system and Microsoft themselves have confessed this:
    "Your Network Adapter Does Not Work and Windows XP Does Not Include a Compatible Driver for the Network Adapter"

Biostar makes the motherboard and the network adapter is a Realtek 8201BL built into the motherboard. I don't want to get a PCI adapter for the ethernet connection and as Microsoft listed in the symptons of this problem showed on that support page, no network adapters appear in the device manager. This computer was just assembled so the network has not yet functioned on it. Our manufacturer does not host the ethernet drivers we are looking for and that page can be found here.

I really hope that someone can help me or redirect me to a page that explains this.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Did you not get a driver CD with the motherboard as its a newly built PC as that disk would most likely have the drivers on it?

Have you installed the chipset drivers, in some instances they are needed to allow other components to be correctly identified and installed ( just a thought )

Also enter your Bios and check that the onboard NIC is enabled, some are not by default.

I went to Realtek as the chip makers of that NIC and this is what they say...

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...ue&other=True&series=2002092&lineID=4&famID=8

you will need to contact Biostar to advise you on where to get the driver from as your problem in firmly in their court and not Microsofts.

3. coleProtocol

coleProtocol Private E-2

Thanks for your reply. I found the driver disc (I didn't remember seeing one, but figured there was), and installed the ethernet drivers and such. I hooked it up directly to my modem (instead of going through my router) just to isolate any problems that might come up, and the internet worked fine. I then hooked it up through the router, and it didn't recieve any connection. Whenever I would connect the cable, it would say a network connection was unplugged. I couldn't get to my router config page either; I'm thinking maybe the cord was damaged (?), because I tried hooking it up directly to the modem again, and the same thing happened as when I hooked it up to the router. When it was hooked up to the router, I checked the router config page from another computer, and the router apparently doesn't know that the problem computer is hooked up to it. I'm kinda in a hurry out the door right now, so I can't try anything until tonight, but I just don't know why it wouldn't work when hooked up to the modem the second time.

Oh yeah, and I'm running a cable connection (Comcast) with an RCA modem. I dunno if that helps or not, but whatever, I gotta go. Thanks again, and in advance, for your help.

4. prometheos

prometheos Staff Sergeant

Hi coleProtocol
    Older modem sets that require a CAT 5 "crossover" cable can be bothersome when you use that cable to hook into the downlink side of a router. Unless your router can "autodetect" the crossed cable, and internally uncross it, you'll have to get a straight through cable. I hope that helps. :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds