XP Explore ICONS Unknown

Discussion in 'Software' started by madgolfaddict, Feb 11, 2011.

1. madgolfaddict

madgolfaddict Private E-2

Hi new to this so go easy. Running XP with all the updates.
    Had a problem with installing KB 2393802 on an automatic download and was advised to delete some dlls and run TweaksIE because I could not get internet in safe mode. Anyway I did this and it solved the problem of the KB installation and the the internet (old Norton install) whilst in safe mode. Sorry but I made a note of the dlls and cant kind find it anywhere.

Now Windows explore will not display the folder icons correctly on either the tree or the folder view panes. I think they are showing the default view for "Unknown file types. (Its a white background box with some blue inserts inside).

I have played around with folder view but with no success and now struggling after a few hours to progress. Can anyone help?

:-o

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Run sfc /scannow
    This will start the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem.
    There is a dll cache so if you need the ones you removed, it will probably restore them. I'm very skittish about removing any system files. I usually move them to the desktop and create a text file with the path where they were. Then if something goes wrong, I put them back exactly where they were originally.

3. madgolfaddict

Hi
    Thanks for the info. Tried it twice but no luck.
    I click on a folder and select file/properties/customize and then select a picture option from the shell32 folder and click apply but nothing changes. even after reboot.
    All the folders and files are stuck on the MS unknown file icon which it is defaulting to as one of the options in the shell 32 folder.

:confused

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Try this:
    go to search
    type in
    shelliconcache
    when it comes up, rename it to shelliconcache.old
    reboot, windows should reload icons.

If that doesn't work, try this:
    Right click your desktop, choose Properties, under the Settings tab change the Color Quality from 32 bit to 16 bit, click Apply/OK. Now go back and change the Color Quality from 16 bit to 32 bit, click Apply/OK. This should rebuild the Iconcache.db file and may correct the icon problem.

5. madgolfaddict

Hi TimW
    Now this is interesting,,this file is not found. Searching hidden and system folders as well.
    Tried the second option the other day and today but no luck.

How can I re-install the shelliconcache ???:zzz

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

May need to unhide hidden files and folders as well as Operating System files, can do this in any folder from Tools > Folder Options> View to find that file, it should be in the root directory as soon as you open your C drive.

if you cannot find that file have a look for iconcache.db file on your PC as that iirc is also the file for the icons cache and then do the same as TimW mentions above and rename it to .old and it should re-build yoru icons.

Do the above in Safe Mode (F8 at boot) then once the file is renamed to iconcache.old reboot into normal mode.

7. madgolfaddict

Sorry guys still no luck.
    Shelliconcache does not exist anywhere.

I have renamed iconcache.db to old in safe mode and rebooted. It appears again as 2K big and is residing in C;\Docs and settings\ Me\Local settings\Application Data.

All windows icons (and all those in explorer) are still showing as the unknown file icons.

Strange thing is if I select a folder in the lefthand pane and the select File/properties/customize I can see all the icons.....it just wont reset the folders to anything selected (after clicking apply) and defaults to the unknown file icon.rolleyes

Not sure if this is the correct answer to ask but can i reinstall shelliconcache from somewhere. I use Explore a lot.

Thank for your patience

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I found this
    In Xp you'll find it here:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Local Settings\Application Data\Iconcache.db

and this

9. madgolfaddict

Hi Guys.
    Thanks for the inputs but I had tried mostall things suggested and it just wasn't going to play ball. So I backed up my work files and reinstalled C;? which was backed up six week ago then reinstalled the work files and updated MS updates again. All OK now.

Thanks for all of you inputs guys. If any good this is the first time i have used Acronis to reinstall in anger and it worked great. and easy to use . can recommend it........I have nothing to do with Acronis by the way!!!

No doubt I'll be pestering you all some time not too soon I hope.:drool:wave

Madgolf

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds