XP file/print share problem with Linksys router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NetBevvy, Nov 3, 2005.

1. NetBevvy

NetBevvy Private E-2

Hi folks,
    Just had high speed cable installed direct to my leased office space and been told I don't need a modem. So bought Linksys BEFSR41 Ethernet/DSL router with 4-port switch, which I've used to get PC and laptop online and receiving/sending e-mail. Problem is, PCs can no longer view each other on network or share their printer/copier. Had no problem when we used a plain, 4-port switch with private IP addresses (but that was in the days of dial-up!).
    Router is configured with IP address, Default Gateway, Subnet Mask and Primary & Secondary DNS entries, plus host name, all supplied by the cable company.
    Desktop and laptop are system type X86-based PC with SMBIOS Version 2.3, Desktop has Pentium 4CPU 2.40GHz, 256MB. Running Zone Alarm Pro.
    Laptop Intel Pentium Mprocessor 1300MHz.
    Both running Running XP Pro V. 5.1.2600 and Norton Anti-V.
    Copier/printer has TCP/IP, IPX/SPX facilities. SMB Protocol & HTTP are enabled. I know the name of the SMB workgroup and the HTTP ports. Used to use static private address on TCP/IP.
    Just want to get the file/print sharing back up, but not sure of best way to do this, now that LAN is configured to use Auto IP address. Maybe I can go into the router's config and get them to talk to each other that way, via ports? Or maybe it's much simpler than that. Either way I'd appreciate any advice you can give. VERY impressed with the forum and sorry I didn't know about you guys earlier, before the bottle of aspirin and purchase of the right type of router etc.! Look forward to hearing from someone. Best wishes, Bev

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Since the Linksys is operating on a different Subnet from the other network (network behind a network), you would have to either "Port Forward" the ports for the printer that is needing to print to the other network, and vice-versa, or open a DMZ for the particular IP that the printer is on.

Since you are in a leased office, I take it the network you are on in the office that you are sharing with others already has a Router and Firewall. If that is the case, I would hook the Router Lan to Lan, do not use the WAN port, and you should be fine in connecting to the other network. Just do not hook anything up to the WAN port.

Other option would be to get a switch if you do not need NAT translation due to the above mentioned.

Some good reading: http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ssr83/rpc_r/48383.htm

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds