XP Home limiting download speed

Discussion in 'Software' started by coldcell, Feb 11, 2009.

1. coldcell

coldcell Private First Class

Hi,

I read that Microsoft XP actually saves some bandwidth for its automatic updates. I think this is why my speed dropped so much.

A few months ago, I was getting 100% of my internet speed. But after that, I began to only get may be 60-70% of my usual speed. I didnt think this was caused of XP.

But right now, my computer is downloading XP automatic updates and viola!! I'm getting back my 100% of internet speed!!!!!

I read that you can actually turn off this bandwidth saving feature in XP Professional... but I'm using Home edition. How can I do this? Here's my full specs:

System:
    Microsoft Windows XP
    Home Edition
    Version 2002
    Service Pack 3

Computer:
    Intel Core CPU
    6600 @ 2.40 GHz
    2 Gigs RAM
    GeForce 9800 GT

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Its QoS your after changing and while its debated on whether disabling it is a myth or not, some do see a difference, however as you already know you dont have gpedit in WXP Home, so you will have to go the registry editing route (unless anyone knows an app to auto do this) and editing the registry can cause issues if you dont follow the instruction to the letter, so backup your PC and even create a restore point.

Tech blurb on this http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q316666&

Registry edit http://www.speedguide.net/read_articles.php?id=158 tweak is listed under Increase bandwidth by tweaking QoS but if you do not have QoS enabled or listed at this location Under START > My Computer > My Network Connections > View Network Connections, right-click on your connection and under Properties (where it lists your protocols), make sure QOS Packet Scheduler is enabled, then your issue is something else.

3. coldcell

coldcell Private First Class

Hi,

My internet speed is 1024 kbps. This translates into roughly 110 kb/s of download speed.

Normally, I only get 60 kb/s. I thought it's my ISP.. but after several MONTHS of observation, I arrived at different conclusion.

When the automatic update is on, my speed cap is up to 110 kb/s as I normally should get. This ONLY happens at the session when the automatic update is on.

So for example if there is an update and the computer is download, I can fully use my 110 kb/s. I assume only a few kb/s are being used for windows download. After the download is complete, I still get 110 kb/s until I restart my PC.

This happens EVERY time the windows update is on. I only get my full 110 kb/s then.

Please tell me how to fix this problem.

edit: This is the clarification of my problem. Somehow I cant edit my post... I swear I saw the edit button somewhere -,-

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Try the registry edit in the link, would backup the registry first though as I never tried it in Windows Home, dunno if it will affect anything but some say it helps.

If you do a speedtest of your connection at say http://www.speedtest.net/ what sort of upload and download are you getting?

As for editing posts then you only have a 15min window to do so, this is by design as many where in the past changing their replies when way off the mark or to add things that didnt tie in with the original question.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds