XP Home problem with update installation

Discussion in 'Software' started by theremotedr, Mar 22, 2012.

1. theremotedr

theremotedr Master Sergeant

Hello,
    I have a laptop which i have re-installed windows but have some issues when it comes to the windows update.
    I have used the windows update for which i am told there are 99 updates and i select the download & install option.
    When they are ready to install only a few will install leaving me with a long list of items that did not install.
    I restart the pc and have another go,this time a small amount are installed but then the same list appears but a little shorter.
    I have now done this a couple of times and now left with 68 updates.
    Can you advise anything i could do so they can be installed or look to what might be causing them not to install.
    I am given no reason as to why only the code of what did not install KB??????? etc
    I have downloaded the fix me tool as advised from the windows page & told an item was fixed and to try again but still the same problem.
    I did have a browse on the forum first before this post but did no find my answer.
    XP HOME EDITION SP3
    PACKARD BELL EASYNOTE H5315

If you require any other info please advise so i can get it for you.

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

3. theremotedr

I have downloaded them but wont install ?

I have pressed f8 to enter safe mode but i dont get the safe mode screen but a different screen which is blue with a boot mode option ?

4. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Tough one. Any chance you got infected already in the time since install since the computer is vulnerable? Might need someone else to jump in here, my XP skills are seriously rusty.

5. theremotedr

I spent around 4 hours last night updating and running virus checks after the install and all clear.
    I have read on the internet the same sort of problem.
    A chap removed sp3 then the updates installed.
    I followed a microsoft thread on how to remove sp3 but when i copy/paste the code into the start/run box it tells me it is not there ?
    Looking at my computer it reads xp home etc etc sp3
    I am now looking to see if i can overwrite sp3 just in case.

6. theremotedr

I have tried windows update in safemode with networking but i am told the site has problems,thats funny as on my pc it works fine each time ?

7. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

I don't think you can run Windows Update in Safe Mode; most likely some required services will not be running.

Try running Microsoft Update instead of Windows Update: http://www.update.microsoft.com/

If you still have updates that don't get installed, what is the error code for these (Review your update history, then click on the failed icons to see the error code).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds