xp home VS xp pro corporate edt.

Discussion in 'Software' started by N5638J, Jul 19, 2005.

?

what would be best to use?

1. XP home with sp2

14.3%
  2. XP pro corporate edt. with sp2

85.7%
  1. N5638J

N5638J Guest

what one would be the best to use? whats the pros and cons of both of them?

2. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

It's kinda a silly question. Obviously pro is better. The only real diffrence from home to pro is with home they removed a couple optional features such as IIS. They also removed abilities to control some stuff in home. Like you can't control ntfs secrity permissions and you can't remote desktop into home edition either.

Those are pretty much the main diffrences. Pro doesn't have any disadvantages from home. Things like IIS arn't included unless you put it in yourself, so you can't even argue that pro has too much extra crap. Since the extra crap isn't there unless you pick it. The only things which are there by default is the ability to use remote desktop and configure secrity settings, but those things are present in home edition the user is just locked out of them.

So really the only thing you could list as a disadvantage with pro is that a user could get confused by having more control over their system. Of course I'd find even that to be a silly arguement since the more advanced controls are hidden unless you unhide them.

The only other thing that would be relevant would be pricing I suppose. The cheaper price is the only thing that ever makes me consider buying home edition, but beyond that home doesn't have anything over PRO, it's not more stable or less bulky or better performance (unless of course someone messed wit hthe advanced controls in pro edition and messed some thigns up). Just less control for advanced users and a bunch of commandline commands have been removed from HOME. Which can be really annoying when working remotely over a network and then noticing you'll have to go and do things manually since HOME doesn't support many of the more advanced command line commands (Which is only an issue for system admins and more advnaced users, since most people tend to shy away from the command line).

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

4. theefool

theefool Geekified

Indiana University gives out XP pro corporate for about $10, then again you have to be going to IU to get this "steal" of a price. :)

5. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

I like XP Pro over XP Home; just becuase I have more control over my system. However, for the average PC user XP Home is just fine.

6. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Thanks Adrynalyne, for the link. Has M$ provided a more recent comparison, say XP Home with SP2 versus XP Pro with SP2? That link is over 4 years old, and my recent readings say that XP Pro has a backup program as standard. It is not mentioned in the M$ link.

2 days ago when I visited an electrical chain store that also sells computer hardware and software, I noticed that XP Pro Academic upgrade was $6 cheaper than XP Home upgrade. Both sell here in OZ for around USD$100, or AUD$130. I purchased my upgrade copy of XP Pro at a sale, some time ago, for 15% off that price, or less USD$90, approx. Both were updated with SP2 as standard. So bargain prices are out there. As many have mentioned in other threads, there is no need to buy the "full" version as long as you have a previous version of Windows already on your PC, or better still for a clean install, a copy of a previous M$ OS CD. Bazza
    ===

7. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

I know he did say corp, but I wouldn't really worry to much about this. As PRO and PRO CORP are exactly the same thing. The one and only diffrence is that PRO CORP does not require activation once it's installed. So really it's not an issue, just assume PRO. At least that's what I did because for this comparison it doesn't really matter if it's corp or not.

8. N5638J

N5638J Guest

well thank you Coco thats what i ment i thought pro and pro corp was the same thing? adry you jump to soon lol thank you everyone eles for your anwsers.

9. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

AFAIK, Sp2 made no changes to XP Pro vs. Home.

10. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

Just to add, as far as I know no patches/service packs have ever changed the diffrences from Home and Pro editions. So it wouldn't matter how old a page is. It's still relevant so long as it's about XP.

P.s: Not 100% about that but AFAIK that's the case.

11. theefool

theefool Geekified

12. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Thanks for the link, theefool.:cool: Lots of good stuff from M$, and more links, as well. Bazza

===

13. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

People who understand the difference between an operating system and an application might have use for XP Pro. Otherwise, XP Home will be fine.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds