XP/IE6 Damaged

Discussion in 'Software' started by ItsWendy, Apr 4, 2008.

1. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

I don't believe I have malware, every test I perform says the computer is clean. There has been some in the past, but I successfully cleaned it out with the help of MG procedures. I believe I have some residual damage though, and frankly it probably would be easier to reinstall my OS rather than finding a restore point, I've done a lot of work between now and then.

I have 3 issues. The first I asked about several weeks ago, but it fell throught the cracks. Here is the original post...

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=155164

The second is my built in pop up blocker isn't quite right, I get a pop up, but nothing comes up after that. It's like XP has a delay before it blocks the pop up.

I have a networked printer connected to my XP machine, to a Win98SE machine. I can print the problem webpages on the 98 machine, but on the XP machine it balks. This doesn't happen 100% of the time, just on certain pages. This is one that gave me problems, for example.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/230046/Front-Runner-Cap/

My feeling is that these problems aren't likely to be related. I'd like to fix them, or at least have a clue where to start. Thanks.

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

So, is it safe to say that IE is a part of all your problems?

I assume since you don't specify, that you're using the pop-up blocker in IE?

3. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

Yep, IE 6. I have other pop up blockers I use for 98, but it is easier to go with the flow on XP.

4. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

I think that the easiest test would be to install either a fresh copy of IE6 or IE7 and see if this clears up the problems (which I agree with Mada_Milty sounds like the root source of all three problems)
    If this doesn't fix any/all of these issues, its a pretty safe bet that the problem is with XP itself.
    That's where I'd start, anyway.

5. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Now, does IE crash at all? If so, it may have written some additional information to the event log. If we're really lucky, we might be able to use this to perform a more surgical repair.

Otherwise, I might suggest simply "reinstalling" IE, or even updating to IE7. Actually, updating would be my strongest recommendation, but quite a few people have reasons not to. Not sure if you fall into that category.

To reinstall:

1. Open Control Panel
    2. Double-click 'Add/Remove Programs'
    3. At the 'Add or Remove Programs' dialog, hit ALT+W (or click 'Add/Remove Windows Components)
    4. In the 'Windows Components Wizard' dialog, uncheck the box next to 'Internet Explorer'
    5. Press the 'Next' button. Windows will uninstall IE
    6. Repeat steps 3-5, this time checking the box next to 'Internet Explorer'
    7. Patch Internet Explorer

You may need your XP install CD to do this.

6. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

Thanks. IE only crashed on the web site in question, not during the pop up. I'm going to back up my favorites first, there is some stuff I'd hate to loose in there.

7. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

You wouldn't have any toolbars or anything for IE would you? or maybe those sites in question require java or another component?

8. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

OK, I tried to remove IE6, going through the control panel and add/remove programs/ add/remove windows components. It didn't ask any questions, it just did it, the icon was gone, very quickly (seconds). I pulled an old CD of IE6 I ordered many orbits ago and tried to install from it, got the reply "A new copy of Internet Explorer is already installed in your system" and it terminated.

IE crashes occasionally, but it doesn't seem related. During a recent scan I did find a new trojan, but on an old backup directory. AVG cleaned it with no issues. These old backup directories are either good hiding places or were copies of some infested computers, I believe it was the latter. I scan every couple of weeks using AVG and Spy Sweeper (the comercial version).

So now what? I don't want IE7, and would like to reinstall IE6 however I can. Right now using the windows add/remove components doesn't seem like it does anything significant, other than remove the icon.

9. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

I'm not sure what you mean by patch IE?

10. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Sorry, should have explained myself better. When you uninstall IE this way, you are removing some of its installation, but you can never really remove Internet Explorer entirely. Windows Explorer depends on a heavy amount of Internet Explorer code.

Your IE install disc won't work for exactly the reasons it said: the quasi-installation of IE on your system now is likely a newer version. Which did you get first? The IE disc, or the XP disc?

To reinstall IE, follow the same steps I posted here, only checking the box this time around. This may or may not prompt for your installation disc, depending on whether XP has cached the installation files somewhere, and used those instead. Sorry, can't recall exactly how it works.

It may feel like nothing has happened, but you've replaced a number of potentially problem files with new, unused copies from your installation source. (Whether that be the install CD, or a cache on your filesystem) Now, since these files have been replaced from cache, they are likely out-of-date, and you should go to Windows Update, and download patches for the version of IE you choose to use.

11. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

OK, some extra data. I went to the MSN website, and did a little research. I went to ...

http://support.microsoft.com/ie6

after working through your suggestions Mada. I used the RUN "%systemroot%\inf" and right clicked on the IE.INF file. This time it looked like it did what I wanted.

Made an interesting discover right after that. Not sure if it qualifies as an explanation, but it does seem to come close. The partial pop up problem was still there, but on a hunch I turned off my folding@home client (I have to do this for many internet related stuff, virus scans, and several games) and it worked. I'm willing to accept as is knowing this.

The web page issue is a specific web page, it works OK for other pages. This is a page showing something I'm interested in buying. Is it possible they have it blocked somehow?

Which brings me back to the first issue, the occasional failure to be able to upload Hotmail. Sometimes I suspect it is hotmail, but I have verified it was my computer several times. Clearing the temporary buffers seemed to solve the problem, but I had to reload every password after that.

12. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

OK, so is this normal operation do you think, or do I need to pick up in the malware section?

13. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Sorry Bill, but by this, you mean your problem printing webpages? If so, could you provide a little description of what happens when you DO try to print?

I don't imagine printing a page has been blocked. I can't recall ever seeing it in my experience, I'm not aware of what code would be needed to do that, and even if they did manage to do it, it could be easily worked around by taking screenshots.

I might recommend CCleaner for you here. It has a great temp file cleaner, which also allows you to configure exceptions. I have mine setup so my majorgeeks cookies are never deleted, so I never get logged out. Simply launch the app, click Options --> Cookies, and move the ones you wish to keep from the left to the right side.

Alternately, especially if your concerned about the security of your passwords (if you have the browser remember them, other users can log onto your accounts), you could use a browser with a password manager, like Firefox or Opera. I have my browser configured to remember all my usernames and passwords, but only if the user knows the "master password" I've secured them with. For Firefox, this can be backed up with my user profile (which also includes my bookmarks and other browser settings), and moved to other computers or saved.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds