XP install error! Stops during installation...

Discussion in 'Software' started by layla2052, Dec 27, 2005.

1. layla2052

layla2052 Private E-2

Hi, guys. I bought a new motherboard, CPU and RAM for upgrade one of my computers. Installed everything easily enough, board recognizes peripherals, all devices work except floppy, everything seemed fine til I began loading WinXP on the harddrive. It will boot to the CD, I fdisked for the cleanest install, formats fine, then starts to load Windows. Copys files to disk, restarts then goes through the splash screen to the first blue Windows screen that says installation will complete in 39 mins. then stops right there. Will not go further, have tried two separate CDs now with the same results. What am I missing? Any help you could provide would be wonderful! TIA

Specs: MSI motherboard PM8M2-V
    Intel 2.8 CPU
    PC3200 DDR RAM
    Western Digital 40GB drive
    WinXP Professional OS
    52X CD ROM
    CD-RW
    Floppy disconnected

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Dunno if you have this sorted out yet? but one thing I have come across on a few new builds is that you need to reset CMOS/Bios either by the reset jumper or as most modern motherboards dont have these, by reset bios to default or remove the mobo battery for a minute or two, enter the bios and double check the system date/time is correct.

Weird occurance but hey may work for you and the OS did hang at a similar point IIRC.

You may also want to only have bare bones hardware installed as another option incase of a conflict.

and as you have a SATA drive did you press F6 and load the SATA/RAID drivers ( which will be on the driver CD supplied ) you will have to hook the floppy up as SATA drivers need to go onto floppy.

3. theefool

theefool Geekified

Yet another thing to do, is see if there is a BIOS update for your motherboard. Update the bios, via floppy, then try again.

But, that 39 minute lockup during a fresh XP install sounds very like a KB I saw at Microsoft.com. Will see if I can remember/find this.

How many sticks of ram are you using? Try taking one out.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds