XP install problems on SATA 3Gb/s hard drive

Discussion in 'Software' started by jonjar, Dec 2, 2006.

1. jonjar

jonjar Private E-2

Hi,

Some help here would be greatly appreciated. I am about to go insane.

Just built a new AM2 system with a SATA2 hard drive.

I installed the correct drivers (as far as I am aware) from the BIOS cd and I put them on when prompted by the installation procedure.

XP then recognised my hard drive, I chose the file system etc and then it began to format.

Everything was going great - the hard disk was formated and then Windows started to copy setup files to the hard drive.

This is where the problems started:

Many files (.dll, .sys etc) failed to copy and the option I had was to press esc to skip this file... this must have happened about 50 times. So a LOT of important files would be missing.

The PC then restarted and before I got the chance to do anything I get a windows stop error

0x00000050

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

The version of XP Pro SP2 I have is a trial version I got with my MCDST book so when I called Microsoft for support they refused to give me any on this basis :rolleyes:

I have searched the internet for similar problems but have never found one to be the same as mine. Any help would be greatly appreciated

2. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

STOP: 0x00000050
    PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
    This Stop error indicates that requested data was not in memory. The system generates an exception error when using a reference to an invalid system memory address. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop error.

Possible resolutions
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=183169

This PC, are you running stock speeds? no OCing?

3. jonjar

jonjar Private E-2

Hi thanks for the advice

i'm not overclocking.

the problem I seem to have is when windows setup formatted my hard drive it then copied system files to it but didnt copy them all, hence the problem now.

How can I re-format my SATA drive?

This way I can try a new OS disc to make sure its not just a faulty cd (it is a free 120 day trial XP disc so wouldnt surprise me if it wasn't up to much as Microsoft wont give technical support on it).

4. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

I asked about OCing because an unstable OC can be problematic for loading an OS

Problems coping files could be from dirty or scratched CD, or faulty cd itself or even a bad CD drive
    Two things
    Clean the CD
    If you have more than one CD drive try another

Format SATA drive? All HDD manufactures have free utilities for Partitioning/formating & Diagnostics ( These Utilities are my Preference)
    These utilities come on CD with a retail HDD, if you buy an OEM HDD they are available as free download at the Manufactures Web Site

An SATA drive can also be Formated when it's connected to a PC that has an OS installed on another drive, boot to that OS, then go to Disk Management, if Drive is listed right click & select format.

I suggest you test your memory as the stop error suggest's a memory problem

5. jonjar

jonjar Private E-2

Hi,

Thanks so much for your help.

I will try what you said first of all.

I guess its just trial and error. Remove and replace components until it works.

the problem I have is I cant get past POST anymore as when the computer tries to boot I get the blue screen. So I need to find a way of clearing my hard drive before I get that error message which hangs the whole system.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds