xp install won't copy raid drivers

Discussion in 'Software' started by lollerkeet, Jun 13, 2007.

1. lollerkeet

lollerkeet Private E-2

Trying to install xp on a SATA drive.

I made a driver disk from MSI.

I press F6 to load the drivers; they clearly load (as xp can see the full drive with partitions) but at the 'copying files' stage I get messages saying 'cannot copy viamraid.sys', then 'cannot copy viamraid.cat', then 'cannot copy viamraid.inf'.

this is the txtsetup.oem:

[Disks]
    D-I386-NT5-RAID="VIA RAID Combo Driver Diskette",\I386\VIAMRAID, \NT5
    D-I386-NT4-RAID="VIA RAID Combo Driver Diskette",\I386\VIAMRAID, \NT4

[Defaults]
    scsi = VCOMBORAID_I386_NT5

[SCSI]
    VCOMBORAID_I386_NT5="VIA VT8251/8237/8237A/6421/6410 SATA RAID Controller(Windows 2K/XP/SRV2003)"
    VCOMBORAID_I386_NT4="VIA VT8251/8237/8237A/6421/6410 SATA RAID Controller(Windows NT4)"

[Files.SCSI.VCOMBORAID_I386_NT5]
    driver = D-I386-NT5-RAID, viamraid.sys, CFG_NT5
    inf = D-I386-NT5-RAID, viamraid.inf
    catalog = D-I386-NT5-RAID, viamraid.cat

[Files.SCSI.VCOMBORAID_I386_NT4]
    driver = D-I386-NT4-RAID, viamraid.sys, CFG_NT4
    inf = D-I386-NT4-RAID, viamraid.inf​

All the files are in the correct place. As I said, xp can see and load the drivers, but can't copy them.

I finished installing, anyway. Can I simply drop the drivers somewhere?

(Sorry if this is a common issue.)

2. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

You need SP-2.cos SP-2 has built in default sata drivers which are good enough to install windows with.And check your bios settings.

3. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

True, but XP setup discs often don't contain RAID drivers!

So you're saying that despite these error messages, you were still able to install Windows XP?

If so, then you're probably in good shape. Typically, you only need these drivers so that XP can write to your volume during setup. Afterwards, it will use built-in Windows RAID drivers to connect to the drives.

The drivers you've put on disk won't see much action in Windows. They're lower-level (DOS) drivers. Keep them on the disc somewhere safe for your next install, and you should be alright.

4. lollerkeet

lollerkeet Private E-2

No, I just copied all the other files. XP still doesn't have the drivers so can't boot.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds