XP loads up a temporary profile

Discussion in 'Software' started by Besides, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Besides

Besides Private E-2

This is possibly malware/trojan related, but this is not my computer so I cannot vouch for what has or has not been downloaded. I will be attaching a HijackThis log.

Okay. My mother called me the other day and told me her computer was broken. Expecting the worst [dead mobo, RAM, etc.] I went over and was pleased to see XP could load and none of the hardware was faulty.
    It seems upon loading XP will revert to factory as if this is the first time loading the OS entirely. Desktop is empty, all settings are reset etc. etc. Thinking it was a User Profile issue I went there through Sys. Properties -> Advanced -> User Profiles and lo and behold I was right. There is two.

PC/Administrator - Size - Local - Local - 16/01/2010 [Contrary to what User Accounts tells me I am not logged in on this profile]
    PC/Windows - Size - Local - Local - 12/03/2010 [Options are greyed out, I'm guessing this is what I'm logged in on]

I don't know where to go from where and I do not want to mess with it further without input from those knowledgeable.

As said before this is the HijackThis log: http://pastebin.com/37pp5HYN

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Off the top, I would suggest that you create a new user account with Admin. privileges and make sure you can boot into that profile. Then, if you suspect malware, follow these instructions and once you have logs, create a new thread it the malware forum with the logs attached. Your HJT log is not showing anything.

READ & RUN ME FIRST. Malware Removal Guide

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds