XP Media Center Boot problem on Acer Aspire 5100

Discussion in 'Software' started by booty, Dec 8, 2010.

1. booty

booty Private E-2

Help mee!! I have 2 problems...
    I've just rebuilt an Acer Aspire 5100 with X1300 graphics and SATA hdd.
    I've updated to the latest BIOS v3.13, reinstalled Windows XP Media Center edition and have all the drivers except for one "Unknown device" which may be the modem - the modem socket is cracked so would this explain why the device is "not found" by any driver software?

The second problem is XP stalls during boot-up after the Windows XP logo screen - it goes to a black screen and then hangs. I can only get XP booting to proceed by inserting an USB drive and then taking it out again! It's as though the laptop is waiting to test the USB ports before it can continue. Is this a software problem or a drive configuration problem - SATA HDD shows as "PM" (-?primary master) and the IDE DVD-RW drive as "SM" (-secondary master) on the configuration screen in BIOS, but as "S1" and "PM" on the Boot Order List in the BIOS. I just need this to boot reliably without having to stick in and take out a flash drive!!

2. booty

booty Private E-2

I have found the problem is the ENE card reader driver. If I don't install this, then Windows boots as normal. Uninstalling the drivers is not straightforward either - I'm having to do a System Restore each time to get things working....

Any ideas?

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

In the BIOS, whats the boot order? if its not set to HDD only an nothing else listed as you can have it boot from Network, CD/DVD, HDD, USB etc (depending on hardware) then just have HDD only and save and exit BIOS.

4. booty

booty Private E-2

Hi, Thanks for the suggestion. There isn't an option in the BIOS to disable the other devices and the daft thing is that the same BIOS settings will work if running Windows Vista or Windows 7. It's definitely an XP and ENE card reader driver problem.
    I think I'll just have to settle for running XP MCE without a working card reader.
    Thanks again. :)

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Yes its very possible that ist XP issue, especially if that PC came with Vista or Win7 originally.

Just wondering as I have a Acer notebook, that one of the drivers I have for the card reader, may work for you, will dig it out and upload it to my Skydrive at some point in the next 24hrs (need to locate the driver files first).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds