Xp Mode Will Not Finish Initial Installation

Discussion in 'Software' started by jefflbi, Apr 3, 2016.

1. jefflbi

jefflbi Private First Class

I'm trying to install XP Mode on my Win7 Pro computer. I installed Windows Virtual PC as directed, then when I got to install XP Mode, it runs through the initial setup but craps out right at the end saying "Installation could not complete, please try again. After going through this about 4 times I looked in the log files and found this error for each instance "'Windows XP Mode' was turned off without hibernating state."

When I launch Windows Virtual PC, I see the XP Mode VM in there but it says it's powered down. I can't figure out how to power it up.

I found a thread saying that the issue is with AMD multi core processors, something about a conflict with Bulldozer processors, to which there is a hotfix for that, but it entails downloading and installing the Windows OPK to be able to apply the hotfix. I really don't want to go through that trouble, so I'm hoping there might be another solution that someone here might be able to share.

Thanks!

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

XP Mode development ceased a while ago and it's really buggy. You would have a better experience with VMWare Player, but you would need XP installation media to run XP in that.

jefflbi likes this.
  3. jefflbi

Thanks for that bit of info.

As a side note, I check my version numbers of the Vpcvmm.sys that the hotfix was designed for and none of them matched. So maybe it's a good thing afterall. I do have a valid copy of XP Pro, so maybe that's the route I'll take.

4. Earthling

I have every version of Windows from 98SE to 10 set up as a VM in VMWare Player. I think it's by far the best bit of freeware you can buy ;)

jefflbi likes this.
  5. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Umm, "freeware you can buy"?

6. Earthling

Just being facetious, sorry :p

7. jefflbi

Just a side note, I did install VmWare Player, got XP up and running but the networking is very flakey. Sometimes it connects to the internet, but most times won't. I found a tip about extractung the vmnetconfig.exe file from the installation exe, and setting the Bridged connection to use the physical nic, but that didn't fix my problem either. That said, I installed the game I wanted to play and it was so laggy it was unplayable anyway. I ordered a new mortherboard for my XP box that died. I was able to find "1" on NewEgg that still supports my AMD Dual Core processor. The fun never ends!

8. Earthling

Yes, a VM would be bit laggy for games unless you have a very fast system with loads of RAM and disk space. I've never had any insurmountable networking issues myself with VMware - both NAT and Bridged usually work. An alternative would be a dual boot with Win 7 but slightly complicated by the fact that with the MS boot manager XP has to be installed first. That's reasonably easy to get around though.

Eldon likes this.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds