XP on FAT32 D Partition

Discussion in 'Software' started by ENMChile, Oct 24, 2005.

1. ENMChile

ENMChile Private E-2

My system is HP Pavil. 2.6 gig 120 hd 512 ram. My problem is I made a set of back up recovery cd's 6 total from the FAT 32 D partition because they didn't give me a Win XP cd to use if I ever had a problem. Well needless to say I had a problem and tried to use the cd's and they did'nt work and now the partition is locked and I can't make another set. Is there a way that I can convert this fat 32 to ntfs even though it's locked and make another copy without loosing anything on my c drive? If this can't be done then can I use another XP Home cd from a friend and load it on my computer as long as I have my product ID # and my key #'s also will this wipe out the fat32 partition when I reload XP or would I have to manually convert it or delete it to free up the space? I'm new to all this.

Any help would be appreciated

Last edited: Oct 24, 2005
  2. theefool

theefool Geekified

Re: XP on FAT32 D & NTFS on C Partitions

Hrrmm, Windows does not boot, even in safe mode (command shell/prompt)?

Then, you MAY be able to. Just try to install in a NON-WINDOWS directory. Never tried this myself, 9x, I have.

Typically, this is a parallel install. Should work......

3. ENMChile

ENMChile Private E-2

Re: XP on FAT32 D & NTFS on C Partitions

My system is up and running I need to know if I can convert the partitions or use another XP cd and put my prod ID and key #s in and will that get rid of the fat32 partition or do I have to manually do it

4. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

As long as you have a valid license and the product key that goes with it, you could. The disc must be an OEM disc, not a retail disc. If you install to the Windows partition , it shouldn't delete the recovery partition unless you format and/or repartition the whole disc.

If you are under warranty still contacr HP and ask them to send you a recovery disc. There may be a charge for the disc.

There should be a recovery utility to allow you to reinstall from the recovery partition itself. Check the manual or HP support.

5. ENMChile

ENMChile Private E-2

Thanks for the info I got a disc from HP and everything is good to go

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds