XP only starts in safe mode HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chole7796, Dec 22, 2006.

1. chole7796

chole7796 Private E-2

I have had our computer unplugged for about 2 weeks fixing my bro-in-laws computer. I plugged it in last night and when it boots up, it will ONLY start in safe mode. I tried to do the start normally and tried restarting to last known working condition. Then I tried restoring clear back to the end of November, (it was working fine) and when it gets done and restarts, it goes right back to the safe mode screen.

So, now that I am in safe mode, it wont go on the internet. I checked my network connections and everthing is entered ok (ip address, subnet, gateway, etc.) But it still wont connect.

I am at my witts end. :mad: I usually can fix things, but this has gotten me totally baffled. SOMETHING happened, but I cant figure it out.

Any help will be GREATLY appreciated.....!!!!!! :)

(I dont know if I can get any scans done and posted, because I cant get on internet, and i dont have anything downloaded to scan with)

The computer:
    its a Dell, dont know the specs
    Windows XP SP2
    cable internet

2. sl00py99

sl00py99 Private First Class

:eek: Click on the Start button, then select Run. In the space after Open:, type msconfig, then hit the Enter key. The System Configuration Utility should start up. Be sure "Normal Startup" is selected, then click OK. Best of luck.

3. chole7796

chole7796 Private E-2

Sorry its been so long. I tried that, I had it in selective startup, so a bunch of other things wouldnt start up. Anyway, tried normal and it still wont start without safemode. I got it to quit going around to the safe mode screen so I could read the error.

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

STOP: 0x00000050 (0xFF9B4034,0x00000000,0xF8E5B3CD,0x00000000)

It tells me it stopped startup so it wouldnt damage windows. So, I am wondering, can I REPAIR XP, without losing any data, or are there other suggestions???

Thanks...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds