XP OS blues

Discussion in 'Software' started by Trihimbulus, Jul 2, 2003.

1. Trihimbulus

Trihimbulus Private E-2

I need help!!! Im running XP home off a Dell PC (80mb RAM,2Gig HD, Pentium4 processor) and I am having some major problems!!! In a nutshell, the Disk Cleanup utility freezes everytime I open it, Virtual Memory is Low, computer seems to be slowing down ( including internet connection - which is Cox high speed cable). I defrag often, firewall and anti virus are up to date etc. , check for and erase spyware daily. What is happening and how do I fix it??? HELP!!!:eek: :( :(

2. da chicken

da chicken MajorGeek

2 GB HDD? 80 MB RAM? Your system is far below the minimum requirements for Windows XP. I'm surprised it installed at all. Are you sure about those specs?

And offhand, I'm willing to bet your HDD is full or near full.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Even if the HD and RAM sizes are the wrong way around I suspect the same as da Chicken and you are running low on HD space, XP seems to love at least a few Gigs free for the VM.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Pretty sure I could help you fix this...but the other issues, gah, what a mess.

As for the specs, are you serious or is that a typo(s)?

For the disk cleanup issue:

Backup and delete this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\VolumeCaches\Compress old files

This is a pretty well known issue with Disk Cleanup and XP, although its usally due to upgrade issues from previous OS.

5. Trihimbulus

Trihimbulus Private E-2

hehe yeah sorry it was late and was a typo - sorry guys lol

6. Trihimbulus

Trihimbulus Private E-2

Ok well I guess it is inevitable. I might have reload XP. Argggggh!!! ( pirate yell ) Well where do I go to save/backup all my files, drivers, etc... ??? Ive never had to do this before.

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

One fire at a time. Did my suggestion fix Disk Cleanup?

8. Trihimbulus

Trihimbulus Private E-2

It sure didn't. My computer is screwed. Thanks for the help though. So how do I backup all my saved files and what not?

9. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

well what are your specs if they arnt them?

get somthing like nero on there, and burn everything onto CD.. or do whatever..

I guess you could always try an "upgrade" isntallation over the top of the current installation, but im sure there is a better way, which Adrynalyne will probably know :D

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds