XP Paging File Advice Needed For Large HDD

Discussion in 'Software' started by MistressRene, Dec 22, 2006.

1. MistressRene

MistressRene Private First Class

Hi!
    I finally have my new machine in order. I had to replace my C Drive after all. It was causing some of the problems that I had.
    Now, I have 2 - 400 Gig HDDs, divided.
    My problem is that when I installed XP, the XP cd used was an old one that did not have x-large HDD support, so my C drive is 'small' compared to the other drives, and I don't think my page file is set up correctly for all these large drives. The reason I say that is because when I try to open large folders on my D drive, it takes a really really long time to open them, sometimes to the point of having to open the tsk mgr and closing windows explorer due to the 'not responding'. Thanks in advance for any suggestions, and...
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS! :)

OK, here is what I have everything set to:
    C: space avail - 114,269 MB
    Initial size MB 1536 Max size - 3072
    Currently allocated - 1536
    ---
    now, my D drive, which will be storing most of my stuff, has space avail. - 247,651 MB
    My E drive has 331,407 space avail.
    ---
    Processor:
    2.00 gigahertz AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core
    256 kilobyte primary memory cache
    1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    Board: ASUSTeK M2N-E 1.XX
    Memory: 1024 Megabytes Installed Memory

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

I would say at 1 gig, Windows default should be fine. IMHO, I prefer real ram, so consider upgrading to 2 gigs, which you will need for Vista if so inclined.

3. theefool

theefool Geekified

On both drives, do you have 400 Gigs available, minus programs?

Or, are ye raiding this?

IF XP was from the (pre) sp1 days, then, ye need to upgrade to sp2 (or sp1) which will provide ye to the full potential of your hdd capacity.

If ye are using FAT32, I'd convert to NTFS.

4. MistressRene

MistressRene Private First Class

Local Drive Volumes:
    C: drive + D: Drive=400 Gig / E: Drive + F: Drive=400 Gigs

c: (NTFS on drive 1) 137.43 GB 118.19 GB free
    d: (NTFS on drive 1) 262.66 GB 259.68 GB free
    e: (NTFS on drive 2) 358.14 GB 346.43 GB free
    f: (NTFS on drive 2) 41.94 GB 32.17 GB free

I DO have the sp2 add-on disk so my machine is now sp2. But when I was setting it up it was the original XP disk, from the very 1st week that it was released.

I just spent WAYYY OVER my limit to upgrade my machine, so the extra gig of Ram is out of the question, for now, but eventually I can add that extra gig. As far as the Vista goes, I am not impressed by it yet, so that is not even something I would consider at the moment.
    NOW... The paging file LOL! Keep it the way it is? Move it to the D: drive where there is more space? I just think it is kinda weird that trying to open a folder with a lot of data takes such a long time to open, when everything else is zoomin.

Thank you both!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds