XP Pro Can't Install on USB-attached HD Optiplex GX270 ?

Discussion in 'Software' started by zapp, Mar 25, 2010.

1. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

This should just work but isn't... So I'm very curious as to how to solve the problem.

I'm attempting a fresh install on a Barracuda drive which I've attached via USB port to Dell Optiplex GX270. Using regular XP Pro Install CD. The setup package reconizes the drive and partition, but when i hit 'install' it immediately errors to a screen reading:
    "Your computer's startup program cannot gain access to the disk containing the partition or free space..."

Anybody know how to fix this? The system does have a separate entry for "Boot Sequence" and I have USB enabled there. I have all other HD types "Off".. thus SATA primary and secondary are "OFF", what Dell calls "Primary Master", by which they mean IDE-attached, and "Slave", both "OFF". I tried what they call "OS Install" mode but this is merely a way to cripple memory down to 256mb...

?????:(

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds