XP Pro for $54.99 - Is This Legit?

Discussion in 'Software' started by gman863, Aug 7, 2008.

1. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

While on another reputable PC site (zdnet.com), I found an ad for Windows XP Pro for $54.99. The seller is Cheap Discount Software For You

http://cdsfu.com/

Has anyone purchased from this company? Is this a legit copy of XP? Any experiences and/or feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

3. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

i can't get there either

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Scam. It is pirated software.

From the Faq:

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Try this one Adryn http://www.cdsfu.com/index.php?categoryID=87

and one thing sticks out

Highlighted the above in red, and walk away now.

Older thread on same company http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=159188

Have sneeky feeling they are using possibly a purchased Vol Licence and then selling that multi user key onto unsuspecting users as likely the software will come not on branded MSFT CD with holograms etc but be a downloaded Enterprise version and burned to disk, will have to check on this.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  6. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

I've corrected the link (see above)

Sorry for the "404", and thanks for the info Halo.

7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

8. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Me too which had me searching our forum for that very thread. Have fired off a question to a contact at MSFT on this.

I would be very weary gman as you will get no support from MSFT on that product and they will direct you back to the seller as your support, and I woudl hazard a wild guess you'd never hear from them in support for any issues you may have.

With XP being the previous Microsoft OS now, you should be able to pick up some good deals on retail software that comes with support and a COA ( Certificate of Authenticity ) plus their site is up and down all the time as I was going to double check something I did in the past on companies that I normally do in that I check their support page/contact us pages for a legitimate address and phone number, if they are not present I will nto have anything to do with them.

9. buckndaodds

buckndaodds Private E-2

Had a recent experience with cdsfu.com. Ordered the $54.00 Xp Pro on the 15th of December. They cleared my charge card and sent me an email confirming so. A couple days later I got another email that they had shipped it. It is now January 15th, I've sent numerous emails without any reply.

So, I guess I take the pipe on this one. But, thats what I get for trying to get a deal that is to good to be true. No such thing as a free lunch:)

I'll write it off and hope that my badmouthing them allows thousands of others to avoid getting taken.

Buck

10. LennyW

LennyW Private E-2

Hi Buck, depending on where you live you may have recourse through your credit card issuer. In the US the time limit to report credit card charge issues is 60 days from the date you received the first statement that included the charge. Good luck!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds