XP Pro install unable to view network shares

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bLaZeR666_uk, Mar 21, 2008.

1. bLaZeR666_uk

bLaZeR666_uk Private E-2

I have a small network at home 7 PCs and a media server which is running XP MCE. I have a ADSL router which is the DCHP server too and all pc's access the router for internet access. Folder sharing on in server and all the other PC's access the shares on the server ok.

I have just upgraded Two of my PC's (installed a new motherboard on both) I managed to remove all drivers for hardware from both PC's I then installed the new motherboard and installed new drivers for each PC, without a clean XP install. All went great except 1 pc will not view the workgroup anymore. I can ping to and from this pc no probs but when I attempt to access the media server the PC cannot see the shares. I have even typed \\192.168.0.1\\films (film share) and it will not see that share. This pc will still however, access the internet fine and has been assigned an IP address.

I can remote desktop from the PC by using an IP address, as soon as I type the name in I am informed this address is unavailable.

I am a bit stuck as the other PC, where I changed the motherboard, works fine games run and I can access the network via the comptuers names and Ip addresses.

Any suggestions would be a massive help as I am stuck as to what is the problem.

TIA

2. semo

semo Private E-2

i'd be interested to find out what might be the problem too.
    can you double check you haven't misspelt the workgroup name on the problematic pc and also if there are any question mark items in device manager.

3. bLaZeR666_uk

bLaZeR666_uk Private E-2

Yes that is the same as before I installed the new motherboard. All drivers are installed and working correctly, I have even checked the security access to all files, cant see the prob at all.

4. tocuin

tocuin Private E-2

Do you have a software firewall (ZoneAlarm, Norton, etc.) on the system? I frequently forget to add the fileshare machine's IP address to the "trusted zone".

Good for about ten minutes of "Huh?", until I remember.

5. bLaZeR666_uk

bLaZeR666_uk Private E-2

No firewall installed. Remember this computer was working fine on the network 30 mins ago (after I had installed the new motherboard).

6. sosaman

sosaman Sergeant Major

as mentioned, i'd check your firewall settings. you could also try disabling your firewall (on both machines) for testing purposes. i've also found it easier if the comps on the network, also are on the same "workgroup". also, are you sure you have sharing enabled on the comp you can't access? anyway, g/l - sos

7. semo

semo Private E-2

so can you ping the problematic machine or ping other machines from it. as was mentioned already, disable all firewalls for testing purposes. if you can't ping is the link light on the network card on or off

we need to make sure the low level stuff works before going to software issues and such.

8. bLaZeR666_uk

bLaZeR666_uk Private E-2

Hi

I can ping to and from the machine. as well as use remote desktop connection using IP addresses. I can also ping any external IP address. This is why I think there is somthing wrong with NETBIOS.

I have noticed that in the local area connection properties the "client for microsoft windows" and "file and print sharing" are unchecked. I have attemped to tick the boxes for these but I am informed that am I sure I want to uncheck these (even though they are unchecked!). I think there is somthing wrong with NETBIOS. I have removed these clients and protocols then re-installed them as well as un-installing the network card driver, client for microsoft windows and file and print sharing still remain un checked and I cannot tick them at all. :cry

thanks for your help

9. semo

semo Private E-2

ok so your network is fine then. i'm more of a network guy so i can't help you anymore. it seems like a one of those weird problems that don't make any sense.

you said you changed the motherboard. i'm guessing it has an integrated ethernet controller and you're using it. if that's the case then make sure you get the driver from the motherboard maker's website. if all else fails i guess a windows reinstall might work (or use virtual pc or vm player)

why not use an ftp service on that pc. maybe not as convenient but you'll be able to transfer files

10. tocuin

tocuin Private E-2

First off, I usually discourage dropping an existing install onto a newly mother-boarded machine. Think about it. XP wakes up and says, "Hey! I got a whole lotta problems. None of my drivers are right!" This forces plug-and-pray to re-find all of the low-level drivers at once, and that usually gets ugly. (Not to mention really scrambling your registry.)

I agree. NETBios is probably whacked, since you have the network layer (ping works) but not the transport layer.

Try this, in order: (Don't re-boot untill you've done one throug four.)

1.) In the computer properties join a different workgroup. (FOOBAR)
    2.) In the network properties remove TCP/IP service
    3.) In the network properties remove Client for Microsoft Networks service
    4.) In the hardware manager, remove the network card
    5.) Reboot - XP should plug-and-pray the network card. Feed it the latest driver.
    6.) In network properties make sure the MS Client and TCP/IP services are there. If not, add them, configuring TCP/IP for DHCP. Let the beastie reboot if it wants to.
    7.) In the computer properties switch from the FOOBAR workgroup to your workgroup. (Probably WORKGROUP)

This should clear out all of any NETBios confusion. If it doesn't, I'd just do a clean XP install.

At Your Service,

Thomas Quinn, CISSP
    President, The Hollis Group, Inc.
    tquinn<atsign>hollisgroup.com
    610.889.7350 (wire)
    610.636.1445 (cell)

"I get paid for tenacity.
    The stubborn is free."

(c) 2008, The Hollis Group, Inc.

11. tocuin

tocuin Private E-2

First off, I usually discourage dropping an existing install onto a newly mother-boarded machine. Think about it. XP wakes up and says, "Hey! I got a whole lotta problems. None of my drivers are right!" This forces plug-and-pray to re-find all of the low-level drivers at once, and that usually gets ugly. (Not to mention really scrambling your registry.)

I agree. NETBios is probably whacked, since you have the network layer (ping works) but not the transport layer.

Try this, in order: (Don't re-boot untill you've done one through four.)

1.) In the computer properties join a different workgroup. (FOOBAR)
    2.) In the network properties remove TCP/IP service
    3.) In the network properties remove Client for Microsoft Networks service
    4.) In the hardware manager, remove the network card
    5.) Reboot - XP should plug-and-pray the network card. Feed it the latest driver.
    6.) In network properties make sure the MS Client and TCP/IP services are there. If not, add them, MS CLient first, configuring TCP/IP for DHCP. Let the beastie reboot if it wants to.
    7.) In the computer properties switch from the FOOBAR workgroup to your workgroup. (Probably WORKGROUP)

This should clear out all of any NETBios confusion, and get you talking to the other machine via TCP/IP and not NETBios anyway.

If this doesn't work, I'd just do a clean XP install.

At Your Service,

Thomas Quinn, CISSP
    President, The Hollis Group, Inc.
    tquinn<atsign>hollisgroup.com
    610.889.7350 (wire)
    610.636.1445 (cell)

"I get paid for tenacity.
    The stubborn is free."

(c) 2008, The Hollis Group, Inc.

12. RaisedOnDOS

RaisedOnDOS Private E-2

I installed NetBIOS on all my computers on my network. They can all see all network connections on each of the other computers. Including printers and other shared devices. Make sure printer sharing is on make sure any drives you want shared are set for sharing.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds