XP Pro Install with PATA/SATA Drives

Discussion in 'Software' started by Shrapnel, Nov 12, 2005.

1. Shrapnel

Shrapnel Private E-2

Hi Everyone!

Having a bit of a problem installing XP Pro.

I have a primary PATA drive (250GB) which has XP home on it. I am trying install XP pro but naturally because i have an earlier version of Pro it says "An earlier version is already installed" when i run the setup from Windows. So my plan was to just do a normal install as if the PC was new....i.e boot from CD etc.

Now the first problem with XP blue screening on install i have overcome (PCI-E probs...made bootable XP pro disc and integrated SP2..all good).

The problem i have now is installing the PATA/SATA drivers during the install..."F6 to install 3rd party drivers etc". The machine i am using is a Dell Dimension 9100 and doesn't come with a floppy drive. (overcome this problem before by buying a floppy drive...but don't really want to do that again as i have given my old pc away)

I'm thinking....(dangerous i know!!)...can i add the PATA/SATA drivers to the bootable XP Pro/SP2 disc i have made and will windows install them with the primary drivers when setup immediately begins etc? will this overcome it? I have a USB pen drive (is that an option?)

At the moment situation stands that the install will start but when i get to the disc management part of the setup no HDD's are detected because it has no drivers.

If adding the drivers to the bootable CD will work does anyone know which folder to put them in?

Any help gratefully accepted!

Dell Dimension 9100
    P4 3.4Ghz HT
    1GB 3200 DDR RAM
    CD-RW/DVD-RW
    250GB PATA (Primary) X 1
    120GB SATA X 2
    Nvidia 6800GT
    Presently with XP Home on it

2. Shrapnel

Shrapnel Private E-2

Hmmmm...bit of a development.

The part of my last post said that the upgrade option within Windows wouldn't work as it said i had an earlier version. That was before i added Sp2 to the boot CD. I've tried the disc again while i was searching for the primary driver folder...accidentally clicked Autoplay and it now gives the upgrade option. So resolving this isn't vital but would be interested to know a solution in case i'm not so lucky next time!

Thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds