XP Pro SP1a can't install Plug'nPlay anymore.

Discussion in 'Software' started by mrelwood, Jan 18, 2005.

1. mrelwood

mrelwood Private E-2

Hello.

This has been a marvellous source of info so far, but this time the problems seems to be too big.

After I installed SP2 and uninstalled it because of severe compatibility problems, I have started to get all kinds of problems, even after XP reinstall and Bios update. Most of the problems I have been able to work around, but not this one.

I can't install a Plug and Play printer, digital camera, USB 2 drivers, ... All of which used to install easily before. The biggest problem is the printer, 'cause that's what I need the most. PnP install doesn't work, since "...couldn't find the necessary software". If I try to install the manufacturer drivers manually: "Printer driver was not installed, Operation could not be completed".

Also, if I try to search for available drivers in the "add manual hardware" list, I can not see any drivers. There should be a long list of drivers with the SP1a, right? Should I reinstall SP1a instead?

Thanks!

-Aki.

2. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Make sure you have all the correct chipset drivers before you go to install SP2!!!

I wouldn't install SP1, because it is pointless if you get SP2 working. Doing SP1 then SP2 just increaces your chances of failiure :eek:

3. mrelwood

mrelwood Private E-2

I did, I installing the VIA Hyperion 4 in 1 driver was one of the first things I did.

Well, I haven't gotten the SP2 working. Previous time I reinstalled XP, I put the SP2 without SP1 first, didn't help. USB problems, AGP problems, Audio problems...

-Aki.

4. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

You see thats what led me to think you didn't have the most up to date chipset drivers. Either that or your motherboard is dieing.... which is unlikley if your problems started after instaling SP2.

If you can get SP1 running from a clean install, then you know it is just a software problem with SP2. If not it must be some sort of a hardware problem (there is no other explaination).

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds