xp pro .. sp2 drama =[

Discussion in 'Software' started by bR33AnA™, Sep 7, 2006.

1. bR33AnA™

bR33AnA™ Private E-2

hey guys, my frnd just put a new harddrive in and it was my job to install xp pro sp2 .. i get this error come up.. :rolleyes: can anyone tell me how i get around it... ive tried pressing the ok button and the whole thing just stopped... i have like 3 hrs to sort it out ... cos i kinda said that i had it done already .. umm .. yeh so if u could help asap... i will be forever grateful :)

[​IMG]

2. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

Are you installing it from a CD? Could be the CD is corrupt. Copy it to the hard drive and see if you can run it from there.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2006
  3. theefool

theefool Geekified

Agree. This is the usal case. Either the cd is going bad or the cdrom drive is going out.

Sometimes, rarely, bad ram can cause this.

4. bR33AnA™

bR33AnA™ Private E-2

yeh.. i tried cleaning the disc... to no avail. Then tried copying it to the harddrive.. and with 30 seconds remaining ... error occurs.. :eek:

Is it at all possible to copy the sp2 that i have in my computer to a usb flash stick and transfer it like that? or is it dwnloadable from the net.. if so.. do you know where i mite get it from? ... :confused:

5. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

6. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Did you turn off your anti-virus software before trying to install?

7. theefool

theefool Geekified

Agree. This is highly recommended. I typically uninstall the AV, then reinstall later. :) (If I can).

8. Lev

Lev MajorGeek

I've also heard other say they have had little success upgrading to SP2 unless it has been a clean install of XP....

9. theefool

theefool Geekified

I've had great success installing sp2 on machines after they have been cleaned of all malware.

In the last year, I have not had one issue with installing sp2 on top of XP (with no service pack) and XP with sp1. Just need to make sure that no issues are coming up.

This is just me... :)

10. bR33AnA™

bR33AnA™ Private E-2

*scratches head* .. yeh see, idk what the problem is.. i used that same disc with no problems and now, weve done a reformat with sp1 and sp2 just doesnt want to play... not only that, but it looks like we cant connect to the net cos we have no tcp/ip settings, so i dont know whats gone wrong there ???

11. insamaic

insamaic Guest

I get those errors heaps, they're a damn pain in the ass. I found restarting to fix the problem, but sometimes it's a compatibility issue between the two different medias.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds