Xp pro takes 5 minutes to boot to desktop

Discussion in 'Software' started by paultttt74, Dec 8, 2010.

1. paultttt74

paultttt74 Private E-2

At a loss!
    Had an issue a week or two ago where my graphics went south and had to re install the nvidia drivers out of the blue and ever since the boot up has been slow as a wet week.
    I have changed the sli cards over(8800 GT),used only one card,re installed the LATEST nvidia drivers and have done a registry clean and minimised the boot list and still it takes newly 5 minutes to boot.
    I DO NOT want to re install just at the moment and is there a way of getting it back to normal???
    System restore also did no good.
    My system is an Asus A8n-SLI deluxe
    2 gig OCZ ram
    AMD 4200+ Dual Core
    2 X 8800GT Nvidia cards
    Full water cooled system on cpu,nth bridge,sth bridge,graphics,ram,hdd's x 2.
    Master Drive 1 T WD
    Slave Drive 500 g WD
    Slave Drive 200 g WD
    Slave Drive 200 g WD
    Have un plugged the drives while booting.
    Was fine before and now who knows.
    Thanks

2. FED UP

FED UP MajorGeek

What about shut down ? Is shut down taking a long time as well ? This sounds to me like a possible malware problem, but wait for a higher rank (a Major Geek) to respond here before moving over to the malware forum - and IF you do, be sure to follow the instructions in the READ and RUN ME FIRST.
    You used CCLeaner to get rid of the remnants of the old drivers ?

3. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Personally I do not believe that it is malware, but just to be on the safe side I suggest you follow the steps in the "read and run me first" thread in the malware forum just to do a check. If the programs do not turn up anything then all the better.

4. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Try Soluto, it will give you details on what is taking so long to boot.
    http://www.soluto.com/

Or is it hanging in BIOS?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds