XP Pro Weirdness

Discussion in 'Software' started by timw128, Dec 4, 2012.

1. timw128

timw128 Corporal

Hello- My Windows XP Pro SP3 x86 is starting to do things on it's own. For example, in 'services.msc' the settings will just change at will- from 'automatic', 'manual' to disable, etc.. Also, my primary browser, Google Chrome> Settings are doing the same thing. All of my hardware is working as designed and I am 99.9% sure there is nothing viral going on in there.
    Would running 'sfc.exe /scannow' sort any of this out?... When I do this, it always asks for the OS CD, which to me indicates some form of file corruption.
    I DO NOT want to do a Repair Install, if possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice/help... It's appreciated!
    tim

2. Nick T

Nick T MajorGeek

Hey buddy, maybe you should head to the Malware Removal Forum just to rule anything out.

3. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

4. timw128

timw128 Corporal

5. timw128

timw128 Corporal

Was just over there a couple of weeks ago, and the guy that helped me said the logs were clear. I suppose it wouldn't hurt to do it again, though.
    Just after this initial post, I ran it through the same tests, examined the logs, and there wasn't anything more than 5 trackers originating from Google Chrome.
    I think I am going to uninstall Chrome, clean the Reg of any traces, and reinstall Chrome. The 'services.msc' weirdness I originally mentioned had to do with 3 services regarding Chrome updating. Can you see the parallel there?...Just sayin'...
    I am about ready for a new HDD anyway. It's just a lot of hassle shaggin' all the progs down and reinstalling. The majority of my docs are in a cloud, and I have back-ups on a flash drive.

Thanks for helpin' out here!
    tim

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds